New Project - heat question?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapped

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just scored this on my local buy swap and sell on FB.

Nice and solid, 110 H x 60 x 60, removable adjustable solid shelves and a solid glass door, closes with a magnetic latch.

Now, ideas for heat? New enclosure is for my RSP, who currently has a heat mat sandwiched between two tiles for heat.

I'd thought about buying a CHE unit and installing that, but would it make it too hard to have the bottom end cool?
If I stay with the belly heat, I thought about having his heat tile 3/4 of the way up the top.

ALso, where should I be placing vents?

Lastly, I was thinking two simple slide bolts for securing the glass door (top and bottom) unless someone has any other ideas?

Will be giving it a few coats of Pond sealer and using aquarium silicone.

Either heating option would work, as long as you use the right wattage CHE. Whatever side the heat is on put the vent towards the bottom, and have the vent on the other side towards the top.

Thanks for that, I'll think I'll stick to the heat mat, or might even get fancy and use heat cord routed into one of the (cut down) shelves, if I can borrow a router.

you can't use a heat mat in a wooden enclosure,they are made to go under a glass floor.You can use a cable in wooden enclosures.
But remember your roughie won't be in here for long so think about what you will put in here later before you make any permanent arrangements

you can't use a heat mat in a wooden enclosure,they are made to go under a glass floor.You can use a cable in wooden enclosures.
But remember your roughie won't be in here for long so think about what you will put in here later before you make any permanent arrangements

I've had no problems with heat mats in wooden enclosures. He has a heat mat in the current wooden enclosure, it's sandwiched between two large tiles with a spacer between, plenty of air flow. Same as I use a heat mat under a click clack tub, between two tiles.

I would have thought the enclosure was big enough for a RSP? 3 foot 7" tall, by 2 foot x 2 foot. Though now I'm thinking it might be better on it's side, so that he has more length than height?

I certainly don't claim to be a expert on roughies,in fact I know bugger all but I do know they are a reasonably large snake up to about 2 metres who like to climb so maybe remove the shelves and provide more heat from above.recommended size enclosure is 120x60x60

Last edited:
My Roughie is 5 years old now, he's around 4 and a half feet, though it's hard to measure them isn't it lol.

I think I'll get a Ceramic heat lamp unit and put that in, he does like to be up high, and the shelves are removable...so I'll make some platforms out of them as well as having branches etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back