Newbie Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes not using the report button and reflecting on things at a later date can put things into perspective. Don't always take others comments to heart or this place will drive you nuts.

Another layer of render on :) a bit thicker this time. I've learnt so much! Three lessons in particular

a) Work outside, not on the kitchen tiles. Dropping the heavy bag of render makes a HUUUGE mess lol

b) Any cool looking crevices get filled in... Trying to shove render in was hard enough, I can't imagine trying to clean in them!

c) 1.5 x 0.5m doesn't look that big, but takes a really really long time - and I've only done two coats on one out of three sides! In saying that, I defs don't regret it and it's going to look sooo cool when it's done :D

A couple of pics...

rury9epy.jpg

tyneja9u.jpg

Another layer of render on :) a bit thicker this time. I've learnt so much! Three lessons in particular

a) Work outside, not on the kitchen tiles. Dropping the heavy bag of render makes a HUUUGE mess lol

b) Any cool looking crevices get filled in... Trying to shove render in was hard enough, I can't imagine trying to clean in them!

c) 1.5 x 0.5m doesn't look that big, but takes a really really long time - and I've only done two coats on one out of three sides! In saying that, I defs don't regret it and it's going to look sooo cool when it's done :D

A couple of pics...

rury9epy.jpg

tyneja9u.jpg

A) it sure does, my shed is clean before a build but absolutly trashed by the end of it lol

B) the render does fill most small gaps and detail, i made sure not to have to deep a gaps to to feeding insects to my lizards.

C) my last one was 1200x700 (and 300mm deep), took around 4-5 nights to get enough coverage and full coats. Ended up using my hands (latex gloves) to apply to last 2 thick coats.

Rick

Hi Lawra looking good mate, can't wait to see the final product.

Hi Lawra looking good mate, can't wait to see the final product.

Thanks Shane :)

I've been a bit slack lately, but finally finished the last of the rendering tonight. I think I'll have to get the vacuum out tomorrow to remove the million little balls of render that are in there lol.

A couple of pics

9eju2avu.jpg

9utubezu.jpg

Looks excellent Lawra :D, same as me, looks like the tasi devil went thru my shed when I'm done lol

Hi Lawra, how you going? good to see you've made some progress, although I imagine its not something you really want to rush. Do you know what colour/s your going to go with and painting method?

Looking good, can't wait to see the finished product.
As above, any idea how you're planning on painting it? I was lucky enough to have access to an air compressor and airbrush gun, this helped to get some nice shadowing under the ledges, giving the background more depth.
I have seen some other good methods, including using sponges and dabbing color on.

Good work! Now hurry up and finish it =P

Haha thanks guys :D between work, uni and my partner being sick it's been my procrastination project :p

I have an air compressor and spray gun so I'm thinking of using that as well as sponging and dry brushing. I read on another thread that a history of painting war hammer models comes in handy. Hopefully it works in my favour too!

Going to rummage through boxes this afternoon to see what paints I have and what I still need. I haven't decided on colour, probably shades of ochre and random bright colours to make it look natural-ish.

Ochre is good. I used a lot of burnt amber for edges, and darker browns for shadowing under ledges.
The main thing I learnt, is try not to be perfect, as it is meant to replicate nature, the more random it is, the better it will look =)

Thanks! I liked the pics Snowman posted of rocks, unfortunately I lost most of the nice defined edges of the foam after rendering, but hopefully the colours will still look good :)

Edit: experimenting with colour :)
ejeja6uv.jpg

ry6u4aqe.jpg

Last edited:
I knew i would loose most of the texture and fine divets and whatnot so i simply did not spend much time putting them on

I knew i would loose most of the texture and fine divets and whatnot so i simply did not spend much time putting them on

I mostly meant the little "rock" stack in the right hand corner and the ledge in the middle. When I do my next one I'll make a greater difference in size between the bits of foam so they stand out more.

Hey really liking the colors very natural looking. Just hope u dont lose detail being dark in color. Cant wait to see the final product :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

Hey really liking the colors very natural looking. Just hope u dont lose detail being dark in color. Cant wait to see the final product :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

Sorry I should have posted a pic of it with a flash haha. It's a bit blurry though. I've ordered LED strips so I can give it some dramatic lighting and what not :)

y5epyjaj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back