Newbie Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thst lookd heaps better not as dark, well get painting girl so we csn see how it turns out ;)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

I have been sooo slack! Steve has had a huge growth spurt so I thought I'd better get my bum into gear and do some painting!

Nothing exciting to report, I've just finished putting on the undercoat. I chose a dark colour so the bits I missed would stand out, and also so if I miss some spots under ledges etc when doing the lighter colours it will just look like shadow.

Texture is looking good so now to wait for this to dry so I can start gtn creative :)

veby4ydy.jpg

hyne9u5e.jpg

Progress painting pic of the first coat. I think it's going to look pretty cool :)

ve5eqe5e.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A couple more :)

yje8u9uh.jpg

y7azu6a8.jpg

Last edited:
Yea tht looks great.cant wait to see it completed.btw were u up all night doing it??posted at 2.38am then edited at 4.57am lol

Awesome Lawra, it will look cool, I tried doing the same kinda thing when painting mine, but I was using dark greys, bit of cream and green for mossy look, but was too dark can't really see the colour changes thru the rock unless you get up close...can't wait to see it completed too :D

Yea tht looks great.cant wait to see it completed.btw were u up all night doing it??posted at 2.38am then edited at 4.57am lol

Umm maybe :p haha damn those time stamps!

My weekend is wed - thurs so with most people working my partner and I had a few (read: too many) drinks and got stuck in. The poor boy had to work today too haha while I'm watching paint dry and hoping I can start dry brushing soon :D

Awesome Lawra, it will look cool, I tried doing the same kinda thing when painting mine, but I was using dark greys, bit of cream and green for mossy look, but was too dark can't really see the colour changes thru the rock unless you get up close...can't wait to see it completed too :D

I started out doing a little test spot (above) because I was worried about it being too dark also. Now that it's drying I'm thinking it's a bit too light but it's not a worry, I've got a fair bit of work left to do (including cutting out vent holes that I marked out but stupidly rendered over!!!) and now that I'm standing back looking at it I realise I may have gone a bit over board with the colour... Looks like a rainbow :/

and I pulled a few all nighters lol just fiddling, had to be just right

I can relate! I found myself going "oh just a bit more here, oh a bit more of that colour there" so
I put the brushes away as I could see it very quickly being stuffed by over fiddling haha

Last edited:
So I don't think I like it... I mean, I like it, it's just not how I planned it to turn out... I think it looks too rainbow :( I should have stuck with the dark under coat and dry brushed the various colours instead... Hmm...

Thoughts or suggestions how to make it look less like crayola gang banged my rock wall without starting over again?

e2uquqab.jpg

ejy2a6y9.jpg

So I don't think I like it... I mean, I like it, it's just not how I planned it to turn out... I think it looks too rainbow :( I should have stuck with the dark under coat and dry brushed the various colours instead... Hmm...

Thoughts or suggestions how to make it look less like crayola gang banged my rock wall without starting over again?

e2uquqab.jpg

ejy2a6y9.jpg

I don't know, I think it looks pretty cool! Might you like it a little more once it's lighted?

I'm a bit of a girly girl when it comes to rainbows :D

P.s. love the crayola reference!

I don't know, I think it looks pretty cool! Might you like it a little more once it's lighted?

I'm a bit of a girly girl when it comes to rainbows :D

P.s. love the crayola reference!

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

That's a good idea, I'll smash the top out, put the lights in and see how it goes - fingers crossed!

PS yay someone got it haha

Note to self: cut vents BEFORE rendering lol

e6e7uruj.jpg

Oh dear!

I have done the opposite and put vents in without thinking about adding background around it later :/
I've got a whole bunch of foam ready to go, will just wait until you're done and steal all your tips :D

Oh dear!

I have done the opposite and put vents in without thinking about adding background around it later :/
I've got a whole bunch of foam ready to go, will just wait until you're done and steal all your tips :D

Haha tips:

Don't render in your kitchen, especially if yore a klutz like me and drop the bag

Don't paint it when drunk, you'll look at it when you sober up and wonder what the heck you were thinking

Don't render over vent spaces, the kitchen is now covered in crap from the jigsaw and Dremel job I just finished

Don't put it off for a couple of months thinking your baby will stay small for a while...

So in short do everything opposite to me and you'll be fine :p haha.

Pic of one vent/entry to above enclosure all sanded and smooth ready for painting - after cleaning :p lol

za5u8uvu.jpg

Hey good to see you've made some progress well done. To be honest I think it looks pretty good, nothing wrong with a bit of extra colour. Are you going to use a sealant over the paint? I've read threads where ppl say the sealant dulls down the colour a bit.
But really if I were you I'd be pretty darn proud of myself, It's not all one bland colour, and the texture looks great.
For a first go at a rock wall..pretty damn well done, congrats:)

Thanks Shane! The colour has somewhat grown on me and if nothing else, it will be one of a kind :)

I read somewhere (on this forum or elsewhere, I don't recall) that someone sealed a rock wall with silicone so I thought I'd do a test patch since I have a few tubes here at home (neutral cure with no mould and mildew resistance of course :) )

Well, I don't know what I was expecting but it's a bit weird... It's made the rough rock wall smooth (still lumpy bits though) but grippy if that makes sense, to the point where I wasn't sure if it was even dry yet. I feel I would walk past and see Steve stuck halfway up the wall because of the interesting texture.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be continuing with that option so off to Bunnings I shall go on Monday arvo :)

Lawra,
I like the look of your handy work it has that kind of water ran here once look about it.

Hey good to see you've made some progress well done. To be honest I think it looks pretty good, nothing wrong with a bit of extra colour. Are you going to use a sealant over the paint? I've read threads where ppl say the sealant dulls down the colour a bit.
But really if I were you I'd be pretty darn proud of myself, It's not all one bland colour, and the texture looks great.
For a first go at a rock wall..pretty damn well done, congrats:)

I didn't find that to be the case. The one I used, Crommelin,added a bit of shine IMO. But sealant has to be done.

Lawra,
I like the look of your handy work it has that kind of water ran here once look about it.

Thank you, you're too kind :D

I didn't find that to be the case. The one I used, Crommelin,added a bit of shine IMO. But sealant has to be done.

I've bought Crommelin to do mine also. There are so many to choose from but I decided just to be safe I'd use one that many have recommended on here.

Reminds me of a cave wall that's had water running down it leaving minerals etc, I actually really like it.. I'd gladly put it in one of my enclosures, and that's high praise! (I'm damn fussy)

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back