Newbie Saying Hello and Asking Some Questions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarron

Reaction score
Hi all, I currently have a stimsons python, I am wanting to upgrade cages. I went and brought a 900L x 340W x 450H (mm) I am wondering if that is a good size Or to big or to small. Min cage size for a stimsons is - 600L x 450W x 350H. The length and the height of my cage is good but the thing is the width. Can I still use that cage even though the width is not a good width?

Welcome to APS.
That is a bit narrow in width, but possibly the length might make up for it. While not ideal, if you can get good temps in it, it should be ok.
When you say min cage size, are you talking about NSW?

So should i use the cage or get a different one that is the same size as min size or even bigger? I dont understand what you mean for the last bit sorry

You quoted min size for a stimsons; where did you get that from? Only in NSW is there requirements for enclosure sizes.

I got it off snakeranch, should i use this cage or get another with bigger width

OK, that's just their recommendation. As long as you don't live in NSW, there are no legal minimum sizes.
Personally, I think the tank is too narrow, but if you can't change it you should be able to get good temps with it. If you are going to use it, set it up and test the temps before you put the python in it.

Okay thank you, i am probably going to sell it and get a 60L x 50W x 40H (cm) that should be good for her for her whole life. If you have any recommendation on what a good size tank would be would love to here it. Thank you.

I always think bigger is better (within reason of course). Personally I'd get a 80 or 90L x 50W x 40 or 50H. We kept a spotted python (same genus as a Stimsons) in a tank that size, got good temps, and the snake was healthy.

Hi all, I currently have a stimsons python, I am wanting to upgrade cages. I went and brought a 900L x 340W x 450H (mm) I am wondering if that is a good size Or to big or to small. Min cage size for a stimsons is - 600L x 450W x 350H. The length and the height of my cage is good but the thing is the width. Can I still use that cage even though the width is not a good width?
You are really splitting straws here. In a longer cage it is easier to provide a temperature gradient which is desirable for the snake.

110mm in width of a cage doesn't matter. A longer cage makes it easier to have a cool end and a hot end. If you have a short cage it is very difficult to have different temperatures at either end which is ideally what the snake requires. So keep the longer narrower cage!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back