Noisy miner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belinda

Reaction score
About half an hour ago I just found a baby noisy miner on the ground out at our paddocks. The nest was too high up so I took him home. I have rescued these birds before but have only had luck with 1. Its fledging size and is starting to fly....Does anyone know how to look after these birds?

Thanks!

UR 1 big softy BB. Is it the Indian minor bird? If so I would have left it where you found it. They are killers and do more damage to fauna then you can imagine. Perhaps I am being too hard but definity isolate it as they are lice carrying as well. As for your initial question......mashed up weet bix with water. NOT MILK...........Bugger I guess I am a big softy as well

you could dig some worms and feed with tweezers, [alot]and often, also dropper some water down its throat occasionally. keep it warm, thats all i can think of belle. good luck.

Thanks wattso. Shamus, noisy miners are native australian birds. They feed on nectar mainly. Would mealworms be ok wattso? Thanks for the weet bix info shamus, I was thinking that might work..i'll have to buy some tommoz.

RR, if we lived all our lives never doing ANYTHING illegal, we'd all be vegetables! Think for yourself belle! :D ................no offence meant RR :wink:

Lol...I have contacted WIRES about this before and they said they wont take it as it's not a threatened species :S And these people are supposed to care for animals? So i am doing the best I can. I'll borrow my beardies heat pad for the time being and get some of honey eater mix you were talking about. do you know where do get it from RR?

Belinda, mash up some banana with a fork and try and feed to the bird using a biro pen case thingy, paddle pop stick or dropper if you have one.
Put it in a warm dark and quiet place.

Is it perching?

I would advise you to go out tomorrow to where you found it and see if the parents are around. You will have to go early when all the birds are most active, this will give you more chance of seeing the parents. Noisy miner parents are quite attentive birds and they most likely will not have forgotten about their baby.

Belinda whoever is manning the phones for Wires when you previously called has no idea, lol. With baby birds, particularly noisy miners we usually advise that the person that found it keep it overnight in a warm dark and quiet place, then take it back in the morning to the tree you found it under and look for the parents.
If they aren't around, then call back as the bird is considered orphaned, then we can send a foster carer around to take it off your hands and take care of it with all the proper requirements.

Thanks pinkie, the bird I had luck with was feed bannanas, he loved it. I am wanting to keep the bird until it can fly to a reasonable hieght so It can get of the ground and onto a branch if it needs to. I have a nice soft towels shape like a bird nest and he has gone to sleep. I am not sure wether I should feed him tonight or wait till tommorrow.....I dont want to stress him out.

I undrestand what your saying RR, but given, belle has already contacted wires and without help, I applaud her trying! If shes learns how to successfully rescue and release birds all by herself, all the more power to her i reckon. remember RR the godlike services of wires and the like did not always exist, what do you suppose people did before that? just what Belle is doing! :D

Do you work for wires Pinkie?
RR, I am very familiar with the place I found the baby. I am a soft when it comes to birds and feed the ducks, parrots and miners every second day. I also know that foxes come out at night and that cats stalk around the paddocks. I was concerned for the birds safety so took it.

Sometimes we are short of phone volunteers, and the person manning the phones may be new to the system, or not know themselves what to do or how to go about it. It can be very confusing on your first go.
I dont think you need to respond so drastically as reporting them.
Remember they are giving up their own time, so try to be patient as the person doing the phones can have over 100 phone calls to respond to in one night, so mistakes can often be made...

Would a vet take it RR? My dads friend lives up the road and he works at a vet that does WIRE work, there is also a vet about 2 mins away from our house...I dont know if the vets would take it though....

Yes Belinda I was a volunteer for two years and was permantly employed by Wires to do the after hours co-ordinating :)
I'm not an active member now because I'm up here in Nth Qld, but I'm going to get back into it when I go home in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back