Oscar advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaPeas

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting some oscars soon, and would like some general info.

1. What pH should the water be at?
2. What's a good staple food to feed them, and are there ant 'treats' you can feed them?

Please post any pictures you have, or any stories you have!

thanks,

Nina.

HI Nina,

I have a red & black oscar, not sure on exact Ph but they are pretty tolerant of not so ideal temps & Phs.

They are a great fish to keep, full of life and personality but require a lot more upkeep than your average goldfish. I feed mine on oscar pellets, but treat him with earthworms and fresh water crays evey now and then - be warned these make a huge mess in your tak. Your oscar will chew them up, suck down the good bits and then spectactularly expel the left overs. You will need a very good filter.

I have mine in a 3' tank, yes a bit small, and an external 1200L/hour filter, which just keeps up with things when I do a complete fortnightly clean out.

After saying that though, get an Oscar, they are truly great fish.

Attachments

• Dudley2.jpg
    Dudley2.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Dudley6.jpg
    Dudley6.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Dudley9.jpg
    Dudley9.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 61
I used to have 4, beautiful fish. I believe the pH should be between 7.2 and 8.0. I fed them Cichlid food, theres baby, medium and large pellets, if i find a fly around the place i may chuck that it there, doesnt do any harm.

mine liked grasshoppers

Oscars are a cool fish. I have 2, a black & red [ Fluffy pic 2 ]and an albino.[ Ollie pic 1 ] I feed the frozen cichlid blocks, bloodworms, feeder fish and flies. Be careful when cleaning their tank or putting hands in with them They DO bite! Fluffy [ our black & red ] got me last night when I was giving him a clean-out, made me jump more than anything. Kids had a giggle though :twisted: !

Last edited:
Gday i have a huge Oscar he is beautiful the only problem that i c most people do is have them in 2 small of a tank just one Oscar need a minimum of 80gallons(300L) of water so if u wont 2 Oscars u need 160gallon and so on my Oscar is in a 85gallon tank and even that i feel is to small for the big fella pet stores will tell u other wise but they just wont to sell u the fish in my experience pet stores have no idea what they are talking about

I feed my Oscar frozen food all types and live yabbies crickets guppies grasshoppers flyes snails pretty much every thing u should never feed them stake as it can give them fatty liver disease

I even have a worm farm and he loves them

Lewy

i have recently bought oscars myself and from my experience ph of 6.0 to 7.6 and a freshwater master test kit wihich tests ph, high range ammonia, nitrate and nitrate also heavy duty flitration such as a fluval 304 . basicially u have to keep the water very very clean because big fish big faeces which = ammonia. 1 oscar to a 4ft tank. i have 2 oscars to 4ft tank but mine r only mid size yet. dirty water leads to hole in the head and other disaterous diseases. look on google under keeping oscar fish etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back