Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bk mate, what these people have told you is correct and good advice. Im a turtle keeper myself as is already gone, most common species you will find are Emydura macquarii[otherwise known as murry river shortnecks] and Chelodina longicollis[known as eastern longnecks. both these species grow to dinner plate size in about 10-15 years and willlive about 40 years. for this reason i also strongly reccommend you seriously research the needs of these or any reptile before you jump in. nothing would be more dissappointing than a sick or dead pet for lack of basic know how. there are of course many other species to choose from but all will grow to similar size eventually.The two types i mention are the most common turtle species on a class1 reptile license, but there areothers. Kellyville pets does "seminars" each breeding season when hatchlings are avail. 4 hr basic instruction plus basic requirements and a hatchling will set you back about $500 .I would still stongly recommend you atleast buy a few books first. I know the world of reptiles is new and really exciting, they are great cool pets and its natural to want everything,and hard to choose, but do your homework first, think about future needs of your pet , cost etc .then you can make an informed choice and really enjoy your fun pet and start your herping hobby without tradgety and dissappointment. ~ good luck :D

adullthud said:
Marc, I think you are wrong about the Asian terripin(sic) A turtle will, if fed and cared for correctly, reach its full size potential. If you buy a baby turtle you will need to move it to a pond in about 3 years when it will reach adult size. Some of the Macrochelodina may grow to have a shell length of 500mm.
All the herp books are extremly out of date on turtles, Just compare the species list from NPWS to most of the books including John Cann's last book. Laveracks turtle was described in 1996 and doesnt rate a mention in most books. Is it in Wilson and Swan, I havent seen a copy yet.

I will put my headed back in my shell for now but I will be back biger and stronger than ever HA HA HA HA

Marc,when I lived overseas I've seen plenty of them small turtles in shops. Pet shop owners do tell people that they wont grow very big. The reality is that there is now a "natural "population of turtles around. All of these are the 'little turtles' but somehow they've grown to 35 cm+.

hey hello people. ltns. penny turtles are found round here. they are Chelodina longicollis. and when theyre babies theyre tiny with red marking underneath. they grow to be about 9 inches ovalish . we found one that was a hatchling and went into a neighbours kitchen accidently.
nice to be back thanks for the entertainment.
Mudmum
ps. had the pleasure of seeing pop honey and steve honey again...or was it their pleasure? hmmm. lol :shock:

I have found turtles to be out of all my reptiles the one i end up spending most of my time with because i am cleaning all the time.It is worth it in the end.They are a bit of work but great fun to watch and see grow.I did however make the mistake of putting a fish in and killed on of the turtles gave him septisemia.The fish bit him on the neck and turts got a blood infection(septisemia).I was shattered so sold the fish.

Thats something odd Robert, what kind of fish and how much bigger than the turtle?, id be more inclined to say the fish was innocent, unless it had teeth, especially if you had other turtles in the same tank. Turtles can sometimes inflict nasty injurys on each other, even as hatchies. :? Also a bite can be treated, for infection to set in, indicates poor husbandry, poss too cool a tank ,and certainly lack of attention on behalf of owner. No offence.

For cryin out loud Bk gone, ITS JUST A NAME OK. There are no such species, read the post kid!!!!!!! :roll:

ok ok settle down,I was just kidding around.I heard u the first time

lol, fair enough, just dont start asking for hoop snakes! :D

David/Africa, just curious, how much was a florin worth? p.s I like decimal , imagine trying to work out something like 1d&6 !! penny, tuppence, thripence, sixpence........? how did it go? lol
found a penny made in 1918 the otherday, neighbours pulled out large tree and it came to the surface.

Hmmm.... got me there! Don't know the answer to that one.
1 & 6 is easy = 18 pennies - converts to 15 cents

Basically the rule was
1 penny = 1 cent, all the way to 5 pennies; six pennies also = 5 cents (that's where we lost a penny!)
1 shilling (12 pence) = 10 cents, and so on.

The rest of it I think was :
penny
tuppence = 2 pennies
threepence = three pennies
sixpence = six pennies (nickname = a zac)
shilling = 12 pennies
2 shillings
[I think there was a five shilling piece]
10 shilling note
1 pound note
1 guinea = 1 pound & 1 shilling [I think - rustier than I thought:)]

I vaguely remember doing sums in primary school adding up columns of pounds, shillings and pence - NOT easy! And because it was sort of base 12, we had to take a sock off to count the extra two digits! Mind you, Tasmanians had it easy, as they could do it all on their hands! :) [only kidding!]

Jeez.... now that I come to write it down, it does look complicated, doesn't it?? :) ... AND I'm not sure of the spelling. Phil : help me out! :oops:

Hey Wattso, a florin, was the equivalent of 2 shillings.

Ah yes - thanks Artie! :) "Two bob" it was!

Thank god for decimal currancy, btw, was 6 pounds alot of money in 1920 ? just wondering because i have old receipt for 6pounds something from 1920 among my grandfathers papers. dosent say what he bought so I wondered what equivalent some might have been. p.s. I know most aps people wernt around then but some might have idea. eh Africa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back