Turtle Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieBen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
** Please move if in the wrong section **

I have seen a couple posts on the forum regarding turtles but i was unsure where to post this.

Just wondering if anyone from Adelaide might know where to buy river sand from ? I have tried heaps of landscape places, bunnings with no go. I know you can order it from interstate but that will cost and absolute arm and a leg and then it will have to be washed so i will lose half of it through that.

And if not, is there another suitable substrate that is very close. There is a fish shop down here that sells something that is a almost sand / very very tiny gravel like substrate but i am still unsure if that will be ok.

Would love any ideas on this, been on the phone and net for near on 3 days trying to nut this one out and my head is about to explode.

Cheers,
AussieBen

I get it from bunnings for around $6 a bag I heard a mix of river sand and calgrit is good for turtles. I heard call grit releases calcium into the water not 100% if its true maybe someone else can help on this one I'm from syd so bunnings stocks different items.

Every bunnings in sydney has it I find it in the area around the cement sydney washed river sand

As dragondragon said calgrit is needed and it's good that you have some coming already. Depending on the size of the tank you could just us the calgrit by itself as a substrate. Looks good as it pretty much white. I get mine from a landscape place but it took a lot of looking around to find it. I'm in NSW so I can't really help for suppliers in SA. Sorry.

Every bunnings in sydney has it I find it in the area around the cement sydney washed river sand

Is that the BPS brand dragondragon ?

As dragondragon said calgrit is needed and it's good that you have some coming already. Depending on the size of the tank you could just us the calgrit by itself as a substrate. Looks good as it pretty much white. I get mine from a landscape place but it took a lot of looking around to find it. I'm in NSW so I can't really help for suppliers in SA. Sorry.

we are using washed play sand at the moment but been told that it is not the best. If i can't find it i will just use the calgrit as a substrate, we are getting 20kg so that should be enough for a 4ft tank.

Still working out how to quote multiple people in one reply :lol:

Last edited:
Ok guys and girls just when i thought i was progressing it turns out I am back to square one.

I called a few places yesterday, Bunnings called the supplier who said they don't stock Adelaide, they only stock the Mount Gambier store mainly because it is so close to Victoria, and that they can't even have it sent to our local store ( even the person on the phone was shocked when telling me this )

I called a large landscaping place today and they told me the river sand is a coarse builders sand, and then somewhere else say's it's a paving sand and then somewhere is say's it is a medium grit sand, LOL... this is crazy.

Sometimes i wished i lived interstate just for the price and convenience of everything. Adelaide can be pretty sucky when it comes to things for animals that aren't your everyday pet ( cat/dog ) Don't get me wrong we have a couple great reptile shops, but the range is still limited.

Can anyone tell me that what would be my best option,

1) Coarse grit
2) Paving Sand
3) Medium grit
4) any others might will be suitable and available at and landscaping store.

Either way i will wash the hell out of it, and take out the big bits if i have to, so doing all that isn't a problem. Just want something that isn't going to have the chance to harm the fella. There has to be a different option than having it shipped interstate surely.

AussieBen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back