Peruvian Amazon 2 -- Madre Selva Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Here are the snakes that were observed at Madre Selva. Most of these snakes were discovered at night. We usually broke into singles or small groups and then walked the forest trails while scanning the surrounding forest floor and vegetation. In general, snakes were really difficult to find. I only found snakes on every other night but some of the guys were more successful. It always was interesting due to the incredible variety of arthropods. I will have posts of these before long.

Blind Snake (Typhlops sp.)
snakeTyphlops1.jpg

Amazon Tree Boa (Corallus hortulanus) -- these varied considerably in colour and pattern. I will have photos of others in the Santa Cruz snake post.
snakeAmazonTreeBoa3.jpg

snakeAmazonTreeBoa1.jpg

snakeAmazonTreeBoa2.jpg

Rainbow Boa (Epicrates cenchria) -- a small juvenile.
snakeRainbowBoa4.jpg

snakeRainbowBoa3.jpg

Boa Constrictor (Boa constrictor)
snakeBoaconstrictor1.jpg

snakeBoaconstrictor2.jpg

Rusty Whipsnake (Chironius scurrulus)
snakeChironius1.jpg

snakeChironius2.jpg

Tawny Forest Racer (Dendrophidion dendrophis)
snake_Din1.jpg

Big-headed Snail-eating Snake (Dipsas indica)
snakeDipsas4.jpg

snakeDipsas2.jpg

snakeDipsas3.jpg

Common Glossy Racer (Drymoluber dichrous)
snakeDrymoluber1.jpg

snakeDrymoluber2.jpg

Banded South American Water Snake (Helicops angulatus)
snakeHeliocop1.jpg

snakeHeliocop2.jpg

snakeHelicops_lepordinus3.jpg

Spotted Water Snake (Helicops leopardinus)
snakeHelicops_lepordinus2.jpg

snakeHelicops_lepordinus1.jpg

Common Blunt-headed Treesnake (Imantodes cenchoa)
snakeImantodes3.jpg

snakeImantodes2.jpg

snakeImantodes1.jpg

Common Swamp Snake (Liophus reginae) - These snakes put on a good show when annoyed.
snakeLiophis3.jpg

snakeLiophis4.jpg

snakeLiphis1.jpg

snakeLiophis2.jpg

Banded Calico Snake (Oxyrhophus melanogenys)
snakeOxyrophus2.jpg

snakeOxyrophus3.jpg

Amazon Scarlet Snake (Pseudoboa coronata)
snakePseudoboa1.jpg

snakePseudoboa2.jpg

Common Liana Snake (Siphlophus cervinus)
snakeSiphlophuscervinus1.jpg

snakeSiphlophuscervinus2.jpg

Red Vine Snake (Siphlophus compressa)
snakeSiphlophus_compressa1.jpg

snakeSiphlophus_compressa2.jpg

Short-nosed Leaf-litter Snake (Taeniophallus brevirostris)
snake_Taen1.jpg

Aquatic Coral Snake (Micrurus surinamensis) -- As the name implies, these corals live in the water. They were fish eaters that were fairly common at Madre Selva in the small streams like this:
habitat_creek1.jpg

These streams were full of fish:
snakeMicrurusfood.jpg

snakeMicrurussurinamensis2.jpg

snakeMicrurussurinamensis1.jpg

South American Lancehead or Fer-de-Lance (Bothrops atrox)
This species was said to be the most common snake at Madre Selva but our group only encountered a few. They certainly blend well with the leaf litter so we may have overlooked others. I was surprised by the speed of the large snake below. When it decided to crawl away, it headed off at high speed, a little like the elapids in Australia.
snakeBothropsatrox1.jpg

snakeBothropsatrox1a.jpg

snakeBothropsatrox2.jpg

snakeBothropsatrox3.jpg

Regards,
David

Last edited:
wow the Big-headed Snail-eating Snake and the blunt headed tree snake have some of the coolest/strangest faces iv seen
I find it very hard to pic a favourite but id have to say the Amazon Scarlet Snake is absolutely stunning
Thanks for sharing these amazing images
Gex

One word to describe this- WOW! Stunning photos, and absolutely gorgeous snakes!

I love the little rainbow boa, such nice markings and colour!

The second picure of the big headed snail eating snake is great, and quite amusing lol. Strange looking snake :)

And the common blunt headed treesnake? it looks awesome! very, very bizare- it nearly looks like a piece of rope, its neck is so thin! I really love its markings though

Is the Amazon scarlet that.. 'neon' in real life? If so, that'd be pretty darned impressive to see!

Again.. wow, simply fantastic. Possibly one of my favourite threads, if not the favourite. So many unfamiliar snake sp.! Sorry about my comments on the snakes/pictures, I couldn't help it :)

Thanks very much, Gex and xshadowx.

Gex,
The headshape of the Dipsas is so strange. It is amazing to see pics of these pulling snails out of their shells.

The Scarlet Snakes are really bright and beautiful. Red seems to be a popular colour among the colubrids and I have shots of a DOR Mussarana (Clelia clelia) that looks almost the same as the Pseudoboa.

I have a few corrections to make:

1) The Typhlops is T. reticulatus, the Giant Blind Snake
2) The swamp snake is Liophis typhlus, Velvety Swamp Snake
3) The Oxyrhopus melanogenys is really O. petola

(Thanks Dick Bartlett)

Regards,
David

Gex,
The headshape of the Dipsas is so strange. It is amazing to see pics of these pulling snails out of their shells.
Wow, I'd have thought the big head would have allowed for swallowing the shell whole! I had a mental image of it doing to snails what egg eating snakes do to eggs, swallowing whole, crushing internally, then ejecting the waste. Would be very interesting to watch them eat.

Very excellent photography as usual. Love the colours & patterns in the Rainbow Boa & Banded Calico, the large eyes of the obviously nocturnal Tawny Forest Racer & Blunt Headed Tree Snake, by my fave would have to be the beautiful Liana Snake, just love those colours, with that red dorsal stripe.

Awesome thread, David. Thanks for posting it!

-Lee

Thanks for sharing great pics and tryp info. So many incredible snakes there. I have always wanted to do big tryp down the amazon and so jealous, but will get the time and money sometime.

the large eyes of the obviously nocturnal Tawny Forest Racer & Blunt Headed Tree Snake,

The Tawny Forest Racer has round pupils, so it's probably diurnal, but the Blunt Headed Tree snake does look nocturnal though.

Each pic more stunning than the next! Love the swampie with the attitude along with the tree snakes - the eyes on those things are just phenomenal, never cease to amaze me!

MADNESS .... awesome pics mate .... must've been a top experience ...

gotta love the juve rainbow boa and Common Blunt-headed Treesnake ...

cheers for sharing

Thanks, all.

Norris,
You are correct that the Tawny Forest Racer is diurnal. This is how we found one of these snakes, asleep in a shrub.
snake_Din2.jpg

Dayle,
I did not catch the Fer-de-Lance but it was a highly defensive snake. After we took a few pics, it decided to race away. One of the guys had a hook but this was not enough to safely control the snake. It dove into a clump of fallen branches and then just disappeared. We could not relocate it.

Regards,
David

Absolutely amazing, ShnakeyGirl and I have been looking forward to the herp pictures from your trip after reading your first Amazon thread!

Top pics! Must have been great to go herping overseas, very jealous! Get many lizards and frogs?

Thank-you for sharing, they are amazing photos. I like the big headed snail eating snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back