Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
SCINCIDAE -- Skinks
This is the most diverse and abundant family of reptiles in Australia. Members of this family have adapted to virtually all habitats and may be found from tide pools to alpine areas. They range from a tiny islet south of Tasmania up through the Torres Strait Islands north of Queensland. These lizards seem to be everywhere with many living right in the suburbs. I see 6 species in my garden. As with most Australian lizards, skinks are the most numerous in dry, inland habitats. Many of the desert skinks are burrowers and therefore hard to find. Others live within clumps of spinifex and often are only glimpsed as they race from clump to clump. I think that the rock dwelling species are probably the easiest to see well and photograph.

This post and the next will include photos of skinks only.

ACRITOSCINCUS -- "Three-lined Skinks". A genus of 3 cool-adapted species.

Red-throated Skink (Acritoscincus platynotum) -- I see this species sometimes near Wollongong, NSW, but it seems more common in drier mountain forests. It was very common at Mt. Kaputar NP, NSW, on a visit in Nov07.
Acritoscincus_1_400.jpg
Acritoscincus_3_400.jpg
Acritoscincus4_400.jpg

Western Three-lined Skink (Acritoscincus trilineatus) -- This lizard was photograhed near Perth, WA. I also have seen the species in the southwest corner of WA.
Acritoscincus_trilineatum2_400.jpg
Acritoscincus_trilineatum_400.jpg
Acritoscincus_trilineatum3_400.jpg

Eastern Three-lined Skink (Acritoscincus duperreyi) -- I have only seen this species in TAS but it is possible to find it even here in the Wollongong area. Last summer, Henry (Levislevis) photographed an Eastern Small-eyed Snake eating one on the road at night near Dharawal, not far from Wollonong, NSW.
Acritoscincus_tas2_400.jpg
Acritoscincus_tas_400.jpg

ANEPISCHTOS -- a monotypic genus.

Highlands Forest Skink (Anepischtos maccoyi) -- this lovely little skink lives where it is cool and damp. It is a common but secretive resident of rainforest gullies near Wollongong, NSW.
anepischtos_maccoyi2_400.jpg
anepischtos_maccoyi3_400.jpg
anepischtos_maccoyi6_400.jpg

anepischtos_maccoyi5_400.jpg
Anepichotus_maccoyii2_400.jpg
Anepichotus_maccoyii1_400.jpg

ANOMALOPUS -- "Worm Skinks". A genus of 7 species of burrowers. They sometimes can be found on the road at night.

Two-clawed Worm-Skink (Anomalopus leuckartii) -- I have see two of these now in the Warrumbungles, NSW. They have thickened scales on the snout for digging.
Anomalopus_leuckartii_400.jpg
Anomalopus_leuckartii2_400.jpg
Anomalopus_leuckartii4_400.jpg

Three-clawed Worm-Skink (Anomalopus verrauxii) -- The only photo that I have is of this DOR animal from the Brisbane area, QLD.
Anomalopus_leukartii_400.jpg

CALYPTOTIS -- a genus of 5 species that shelter in damp locations.

Scute-snouted Calyptotis (Calyptotis scutirostrum) -- So far, this single animal is the only representative of the genus that I have encountered. It was from the hills near Brisbane, QLD.
Calyotis_400.jpg
Calyotis3_400.jpg
Calyotis2_400.jpg

CARLIA -- "Rainbow Skinks". A genus of 32 species of skinks. This is one of my favourite genera of skinks with brightly coloured males during the breeding season. These are the most diverse in far north Queensland (FNQ) where a number of species may occupy the same habitat. Some members of this genus are small, secretive lizards that live within leaf litter. These skinks tend to be less colourful than their larger relatives that bask in open areas.

Most Carlia will "tail wag" when they are alarmed. The C. longipes and C. rhomboidalis in the following photos were exhibiting this behaviour:
Carlia_longipes9_600.jpg
Carlia_rhomboidalis4_600.jpg

Carlia sp. -- I photographed the following two skinks at Bowling Green NP a little south of Townsville, QLD. The male was breeding colours but I still cannot positively identify it. To me, it looked a little like small version of C. folorium. Someone else suggested that it was a C. laevis.
Carlia_400.jpg
Carlia2_400.jpg
Carlia3_400.jpg

Carlia folorium -- A secretive and drab species of Carlia.
Carlia_folorium_400.jpg
Carlia_folorium2_400.jpg
Carlia_folorium3_400.jpg

Jewelled or Lined Rainbow Skink (Carlia jarnoldae) -- Males of this species are particularly colourful. Skink 3 is a female from Chillagoe and Skink 4 is a non-breeding male from Bowling Green NP.
Carlia_jarnoldae_400.jpg
Carlia_jarnoldae2_400.jpg
Carlia_jarnoldae3_400.jpg

Carlia_jarnoldae4_400.jpg
Carlia_jarnoldae5_400.jpg
Carlia_jarnoldae6_400.jpg

Closed-litter Rainbow Skink (Carlia longipes) -- This is a common species in FNQ and often seen basking on rocks or logs along the forest edge. It was particularly numerous at Daintree and Cooktown. Skink 2 is a female and Skink 6 illustrates the refractive nature of the scales.
Carlia_longipes_400.jpg
Carlia_longipes10_400.jpg
Carlia_longipes3_400.jpg

Carlia_longipes4_400.jpg
Carlia_longipes5_400.jpg
Carlia_longipes7_400.jpg

Shaded-litter Rainbow Skink (Carlia munda) -- I have seen this species in the Pilbara of WA as well as in FNQ.
Carlia_munda_400.jpg
Carlia_munda4_400.jpg
Carlia_munda2_400.jpg

Open-litter Rainbow Skink (Carlia pectoralis) -- Skinks 1 and 2 are females from Bowling Green NP. I am not certain about the identity of Skink 3 (male) from Chillagoe. It may be a male C. vivex.
Carlia_pectoralis_400.jpg
Carlia_pectoralis5_400.jpg
Carlia_pectoralis3_400.jpg

Blue-throated Rainbow Skink (Carlia rhomboidalis) -- these beautiful skinks are found in tropical, central QLD. The males have bright blue and orange throats during the breeding season. Skink 1 is a male and Skinks 2 and 3 are females. All were from Bowling Green NP at the north end of its distribution. Many Carlia have transparent lower eyelids and this can be seen in the second photo below.
Carlia_rhomboidalis2_400.jpg
Carlia_rhomboidalis_400.jpg
Carlia_rhomboidalis3_400.jpg

Chillagoe Litter Skink (Carlia rococo) -- This species of skink has a tiny range and is only known from the Chillagoe area (QLD). I visited the site in summer and found that these little skinks did not emerge from the rocks until dusk. At that time, they suddenly became active and seemed to be everywhere on the rock surfaces. Earlier in the day, I was afraid that I might not find it since I had spent hours walking around the rocks with no sightings.
Carlia_rococo2_400.jpg
Carlia_rococo3_400.jpg
Carlia_rococo_400.jpg

Black-throated Rainbow Skink (Carlia rostralis) -- This skink seems to replace C. longipes to the south. It was common in rocky areas like Murray Falls SP and Jourama Falls NP, QLD. Skinks 4 and 6 are females.
Carlia_rostralis_400.jpg
Carlia_rostralis5_400.jpg
Carlia_rostralis2_400.jpg

Carlia_rostralis3_400.jpg
Carlia_rostralis6_400.jpg
Carlia_rostralis7_400.jpg

Red-throated Rainbow Skink (Carlia rubrigularis) -- This is the abundant skink in rainforest areas of FNQ. It is social and many are often seen sunning themselves on the same log (along with Lampropholis coggeri). These groups will periodically shift to follow a patch of sunlight. Skink 5 is a female and skink 6 is a juvenile.
Carlia_rubrigularis2_400.jpg
Carlia_rubrigularis3_400.jpg
Carlia_rufrigularis_400.jpg

Carlia_rubrigularis4_400.jpg
Carlia_rubrigularis5_400.jpg
Carlia_rubrigularis6_400.jpg

Robust Rainbow Skink (Carlia schmeltzii) -- These are skinks with fairly thick bodies. Skink 1 was from Bowling Green NP, skink 2 from Bowen, QLD, and skink 3 from Cape Hillsborough NP, QLD. Skink 2 was actively foraging and it would dive beneath the leaves, rustle around a little then resurface before repeating the process. Sometimes it would emerge while holding arthropods such as small moths.
Carlia_scheltzi_400.jpg
Carlia_schmelzi2_400.jpg
Carlia_scheltzi2_400.jpg

Black Mountain Skink (Carlia scirtetis) -- This Carlia has a tiny distribution on black boulders a little south of Cooktown. It has the same range as the Black Mountain Gecko. These skinks were abundant on the rocks and exhibited curiosity. They would cautiously approach me while I watched them and this made photography much easier.
Carlia_scirtetis_400.jpg
Carlia_scirtetis2_400.jpg
Carlia_scirtetis3_400.jpg

Brown Bicarinate Rainbow Skink (Carlia storri) -- So far, I have only seen these two individuals. Both were seen once despite multiple subsequent searches. They lived on rocks just above the high tide line at Mission Beach, QLD.
Carlia_storri_400.jpg
Carlia_storri2_400.jpg
Carlia_storri3_400.jpg

Lively Rainbow Skink (Carlia vivex) -- A nicely coloured skink when in breeding colours. Skinks 1 and 2 are males. These were common on rocks near Bowen, QLD.
Carlia_vivex2_400.jpg
Carlia_vivex_400.jpg
Carlia_vivex3_400.jpg

Sun-loving Litter Skink (Carlia zuma) -- A skink with a tiny distribution near MacKay, QLD. These were photographed at Cape Hillsborough NP.
Carlia_zuma_400.jpg
Carlia_zuma2_400.jpg

COERANISCINCUS -- "Snake-tooth Skinks". This genus includes two species. One lives in the tropical rainforests of FNQ and the other lives in subtropical rainforests in SE QLD. I have seen both species but only have photos of one.

Three-toed Snake-tooth Skink (Coeraniscincus reticulatus) -- Stewart, Lee (both forum members) and I encountered 3 of these odd skinks one afternoon last summer while walking up a steep track in the rainforest of SE QLD. The lizards were crossing the trail at the time. These skinks live in damp leaf litter and prey upon earth worms.
Coeraniscincus3_400.jpg
Coeraniscincus2_400.jpg
Coeraniscincus_400.jpg

CRYPTOBLEPHARUS -- "Snake-eyed Skinks". This genus contains 25 species after the huge re-classification that occurred last year. These skinks have flattened bodies and often are seen on trunks of trees, rocks or houses.

Elegant Snake-eyed Skink (Cryptoblepharus pulcher) -- common along the coast of NSW through QLD. These photos are from Wollongong and the Warrumbungles, NSW.
Cryptoblepharus_400.jpg
Cryptoblepharus20_400.jpg
Cryptoblepharus23_400.jpg

Wall Skink (Cryptoblepharus virgatus) -- common in FNQ. These shots were of lizards at Mission Beach.
Cryptoblepharus3_400.jpg
Cryptoblepharus9_400.jpg
Cryptoblepharus5_400.jpg

Snake-eyed Skink (Cryptoblepharus plagiocephalus) -- these lizards were photograhed at Arkaroola (northern Finders Ranges, SA) and Mutawintji NP, NSW. They formerly were included as C. plagiocephalus but I am not certain of their name after the split.
Cryptoblepharus2_400.jpg
Cryptoblepharus21_400.jpg

Buchanon's Snake-eyed Skink (Cryptoblepharus buchananii) -- these lizards were photograhed near Perth, WA. They were abundant in some places such as King's Park right in the city.
Cryptoblepharus6_400.jpg
Cryptoblepharus8_400.jpg
Cryptoblepharus10_400.jpg

Russet Snake-eyed Skinks (Cryptoblepharus ustulatus) -- these little skinks were common in rocky gullies near water in Karijini NP, WA.
Cryptoblepharus_karijini_400.jpg
Cryptoblepharus_karijini2_400.jpg

Coastal Snake-eyed Skink (Cryptoblepharus litoralis) -- this species is abundant around tide pools and vegetation near the water's edge in tropical Queensland. It seems odd to see skinks foraging for marine invertebrates.
Cryptoblepharus_littoralis_400.jpg
Cryptoblepharus_littoralis2_400.jpg
Cryptoblepharus_littoralis3_400.jpg

CTENOTUS -- "Striped Skinks". This is the largest genus of reptiles in Australia with 98 species. They are the most diverse in the arid zone especially where there is spinifex. These skinks are usually hard to see well. Often, I see them darting from one spinifex clump to another but rarely with stops in the open. Many of the species are variable, not well known and often impossible to identify with certainty from photographs alone.

Black-backed Yellow-lined Ctenotus (Ctenotus eutanius) -- This individual looks like the photo in Wilson and Swan's field guide so I assume that it is this species. The skink was found at Chillagoe, QLD.
Ctenotus_spaldingi3_400.jpg
Ctenotus_spaldingi2_400.jpg
Ctenotus_spaldingi4_400.jpg

West Coast Laterite Ctenotus (Ctenotus fallens) -- These skinks where photographed near Lancelin and Kalbarri, WA.
Ctenotus_australis2_400.jpg
Ctenotus_australis_400.jpg
Ctenotus_fallens_400.jpg

Stout Ctenotus (Ctenotus herbetior) -- I am tentatively identifying this skink as herbetior based on the 5 dorsal stripes. It lived in spinifex on a red dune near Windorah, Qld.
Ctenotus_herbetior_400.jpg

Red-legged Ctenotus (Ctenotus labillardieri) -- This species is an easy one to recognize. These photos were from the Margaret River area and Stirling Ranges, WA.
Ctenotus_labillardieri_400jpg.jpg
Ctenotus_labillardieri2_400.jpg
Ctenotus_labillardieri3_400.jpg

Leonhardi's Ctenotus (Ctenotus leonhardii) -- I am basing this identification on the 3 dark dorsal stripes. The lizards were photographed near Toompine and Windorah, QLD.
Ctenotus_leonhardii_400.jpg
Ctenotus_leonhardii3_400.jpg
Ctenotus_leonhardii2_400.jpg

Ctenotus olympicus -- This lizard was found in the bleak, barren country of northwestern NSW ... same habitat as that of the gecko Lucasium byrnei.
Ctenotus_olympicus2_400.jpg
Ctentotus_olympicus_400.jpg
Ctenotus_olympicus3_400.jpg

Royal Ctenotus (Ctenotus regius) -- This skink was found on a red dune near Windorah, QLD.
Ctenotus_regius_400.jpg
Ctenotus_regius2_400.jpg

Eastern Striped Skink (Ctenotus robustus) -- This common skink along east coast of NSW and QLD. It is easy to recognize there where there are few other Ctenotus skinks. In the interior, however, I am never confident with its identification.
Ctenotus_robustus2_400.jpg
Ctenotus_robustus10_499.jpg
Ctenotus_robustus11_400.jpg

Ctenotus sp. -- These skinks were from rocky hillsides in the Gawler Ranges NP, SA. Three species of striped skinks are reported from the area. I suspect that they are C. robustus but I am not certain.
Ctenotus_robustus_400.jpg
Ctenotus_robustus3_400.jpg
Ctenotus_robustus4_400.jpg

Ctenotus sp. -- This big skink was found on a red dune near Windorah, QLD. It really does not look like any of the Ctenotus photos that I have seen from the area so I don't know what it is. One of the forum participants suggested to me that it was a weakly marked C. leonhardii but it seemed to me to be too big.
Ctenotus_saxatilis_400.jpg
Ctenotus_saxatilis2_400.jpg
Ctenotus_saxatilis3_400.jpg

Barred Wedgesnout Ctenotus (Ctenotus schomburgkii) -- This species was common on dunes near Windorah, QLD.
Ctenotus_schomburgkii_400.jpg
Ctenotus_schomburgkii2_400.jpg
Ctenotus_schomburgkii3_400.jpg

Massive Gibber Ctenotus (Ctenotus septenarius ) -- This lizard was photographed on the edge of the Eyrean Basin west of Windorah, QLD. The species lives in broken country where there is little vegetation. My photo is poor but the species is one of the more brightly coloured Striped Skinks.
Ctenotus_septanarius_400.jpg

Stern Ctenotus (Ctenotus severus ) -- I think that this carnivore was severus. The skink ran from a shrub practically to my feet where it attacked a slightly smaller Ctenotus. The two rolled out of sight for a few minutes. When they reappeared, I was very surprised to see that the smller of the two lizards had been killed. The skinks lived on a clay pan south of Leonora, WA.
Ctenotus_severus_400.jpg
Ctenotus_severus2_400.jpg
Ctenotus_severus3_400.jpg

Ctenotus spaldingi -- I am not certain but think that this lizard is spaldingi. It was photographed in Chillagoe, QLD.
Ctentotus_eutanius_400.jpg
Ctenotus_eutanius2_400.jpg

Copper-tailed Skink (Ctenotus taeniolatus) -- This species is the common Ctenotus near the east coast of Australia. It is widespread and easy to recognize.
Ctenotus_taeniolatus11_400.jpg
Ctenotus_taeniolatus2_400.jpg
Ctenotus_taeniolatus3_400.jpg

Ctenotus_taeniolatus4_400.jpg
Ctenotus_taeniolatus12_400-1.jpg
Ctenotus_taeniolatus6_400.jpg

Ctenotus_taeniolatus7_400.jpg
Ctenotus_taeniolatus8_400.jpg
Ctenotus_taeniolatus5_400.jpg

Southern Mallee Ctenotus (Ctenotus atlas) -- The pattern is similar to that of the Copper-tailed Skink without the nicely coloured tail. This skink was photographed at Lake Gillies, SA.
Ctentotus_atlas_400.jpg
Ctenotus_atlas1_400.jpg

Eastern Barred Wedgesnout Ctenotus (Ctenotus strauchii) -- This lizard was photographed at the same site as the C. olympicus above in barren, northwestern NSW.
Ctentotus_strauchi_400.jpg
Ctenotus_strauchi6_400.jpg
Ctenotus_strauchi7_400.jpg

CYCLODOMORPHUS -- "Slender Blue-tongued Skinks". A genus of 9 species.

Pink-tongued Skink (Cyclodomorphus gerrardii) -- These lizards were from wet forest near Brisbane, QLD. I usually only encounter these on the road at night.
Cyclodomorphus_gerrardii_400.jpg
Cyclodomorphus_gerrardii2_400.jpg
Cyclodomorphus_gerrardii3_400.jpg

Mainland She-oak Lizard (Cyclodomorphus michaeli) -- I located a place in the hills near Wollongong, NSW, where I can see this lizard in late spring and early summer. After that, they just disappear. The area is thick with spike-rush (Lomandra sp.).
Cyclodomorphus_michaelsoni_400.jpg
Cyclodomorphus_michaelsoni3_400.jpg
Cyclodomorphus_michaelsoni2_400.jpg

Cyclodomorphus_michaelsoni4_400.jpg
Cyclodomorphus_michaelsoni7_400.jpg
Cyclodomorphus_michaelsoni5_400.jpg

EGERNIA -- This genus was recently split and now only includes 15 species. I will list the new splits with this genus since none of the field guides include the recent taxonomical changes.

Cunningham's Skink (Egernia cunninghami) -- These are big, beautiful skinks that are widespread in southeastern Australia. Skinks 1 and 4 were from the New England Highlands, NSW, are particularly nice. Skinks 2 and 3 are from coastal Royal NP, NSW, and skinks 5 and 6 are from the Blue Mountains, NSW.
Egernia_cunninghami_400.jpg
Egernia_cunninghami3_400.jpg
Egernia_cunninghami4_400.jpg

Egernia_cunninghami5_400.jpg
Egernia_cunninghami7_400.jpg
Egernia_cunninghami6_400.jpg

Goldfield's Crevice Skink (Egernia formosa) -- A pretty skink from the Pilbara, WA.
Egernia_formosa_400.jpg

Major Skink (Egernia frerei but now, Bellatorias frerei) -- Common in coastal QLD and northern NSW. These are very shy skinks that are hard to photograph. Skink 1 was from Mission Beach, QLD. Skink 2 (juvenile) and 3 were from Cape Hillsborough, QLD.
Egernia_frerei_400.jpg
Egernia_frerei3_400.jpg
Egernia_frerei2_400.jpg

Kaputar Skink (Egernia sp.) -- Lives only on rocks at the summit of Mt. Kaputar, NSW.
Egernia_kaputar_400.jpg
Egernia_kaputar2_400.jpg
Egernia_kaputar3_400.jpg

Western Mourning Skink (Egernia luctosa but now, Lissolepis luctuosa ) -- I have only seen this one partially aquatic skink along the banks of the Margaret River, WA.
Egernia_luctosa_400.jpg
Egernia_luctosa3_400.jpg
Egernia_luctosa4_400.jpg

King's Skink (Egernia kingii) -- These skinks are common along coastal southwestern WA. This one was from Albany.
Egernia_kingi2_400.jpg
Egernia_kingi_400.jpg

Land Mullet (Egernia major but now, Bellatorias major) -- These biggest of all skinks are common in the subtropical rainforests of northeastern NSW and southeastern QLD.
Egernia_major_400.jpg
Egernia_major2_400.jpg
Egernia_major5_400.jpg

Centralian Ranges Rock-Skink (Egernia margaretae but now, Liopholis margaretae) -- I have only seen this one at Arkaroola, SA. Unfortunately, it was below a cliff edge and I could not approach it for better photos.
Egernia_margoratae_400.jpg

Eastern Crevice Skink (Egernia mcpheei) -- These are common rock-dwelling skinks at Girraween, QLD.
Egernia_mcpheei_400.jpg
Egernia_mchpeei2_400.jpg
Egernia_mcpheei3_400.jpg

Eastern Ranges Rock-Skink (Egernia modesta but now, Liopholis modesta) -- I saw several of these for the first time this year at the southern end of the New England Highlands, NSW.
Egernia_modesta_400.jpg
Egernia_modesta2_400.jpg
Egernia_modesta3_400.jpg

Southwestern Crevice Skink (Egernia mcpheei) -- These lizards were photographed at Margaret River, WA. I have also seen them at Cape Le Grand, WA.
Egernia_napolensis_400.jpg
Egernia_napolensis2_400.jpg
Egernia_napolensis3_400.jpg

Southwestern Rock-Skink (Egernia pulcher but now, Liopholis pulcher) -- I only have photos of one of these but they were common at the Stirling Ranges, WA.
Egernia_pulcher_400.jpg
Egernia_pulcher2_400.jpg

Black Rock Skink (Egernia saxatilis) -- Skink 1 was from the isolated population at the Warrumbungles, NSW. The other two skinks were photographed near Wollongong, NSW. These skinks are common in some areas.
Egernia_saxatilis_400.jpg
Egernia_saxatilis2_400.jpg
Egernia_saxatilis4_400.jpg

Gidgee Skink ( Egernia stokesii) -- This is a rock dweller.
Egernia_gidgee_400.jpg
Egernia_gidgee3_400.jpg
Egernia_gidgee2_400.jpg

Tree Skink ( Egernia striolita) -- This skinks may be found on rocks as well as trees. Skinks 1 and 2 are distinctively marked animals from the Gawler Ranges, SA. Skink 3 was on a log near Goondiwindi, QLD. Skink 4 was near Cunnamulla, QLD. Skink 5 was from Mt. Kaputar, NSW, and skink 6 lived on rocks at Mutawintji, NSW.
Egernia_striolita_400.jpg
Egernia_striolita2_400.jpg
Egernia_striolita3_400.jpg

Egernia_striolita4_400.jpg
Egernia_striolita7_400.jpg
Egernia_striolita8_400.jpg

White's Skink (Egernia whitii but now, Liopholis whitii) -- a common skink in southeastern Australia. When I look at photo 5, I always think of the "Life's Good" advertisement on TV ... maybe we are not the only one's who feel like that.
Egernia_whitii_400.jpg
Egernia_whitii2_400.jpg
Egernia_whitii3_400.jpg

Egernia_whitii11_400.jpg
Egernia_whitii12_400.jpg
Egernia_whitii6_400.jpg

Egernia_whitii7_400.jpg
Egernia_whitii10_400.jpg
Egernia_whitii1_400.jpg

Regards,
David

Dave,
Thx so much for sharing ur photos and passion with the rest of us,we get to so many animals that we would not normally get to see.
Tho i think u DO have to much time on ur hands lololol naaaa not really... well done and thx again

Shane

Hi David,

A few corrections

its actually Anepischtosia instead of Anepischtos maccoyi (that was a typo in wilson's book)

Carlia are now split into 3 genera

your plagiocephalus are actually C. pannosus

Ctenotus schomburgkii is actually Ctenotus brooksi

"Centralian Ranges Rock-Skink (Egernia margaretae but now, Liopholis margaretae) -- I have only seen this one at Arkaroola, SA. "

This is actually an undescribed species.

"Southwestern Crevice Skink (Egernia mcpheei)"
these are Egernia napoleonis

Egernia striolita....Egernia striolata

Cheers,
Scott

wow ur so lucky to have seen some of these sinks in the wild.
its a dream of mine to see a land mullet in the wild

hi David ,
it is now obvious to us mear mortals that we need A a herp, spotting lesson and B a photography lesson top stuff THANKS we spent yesterday on the cliffs of the RNP south of bundeena saw a few birds but nothing else

Thanks so much for the kind remarks.

Gooba, I know that Ryan on this forum sees them often on the Central Coast. If you can get up to Lamington NP on a sunny day, you shouldn't have much problem. They are common right in the the botanic gardens near O'Riellys.

Rodney, I think that you had a cooler day which would explain the lack of herps.

Scott,
Thanks for all the info.

1) E. mcpheei and E. striolata were my typos.

2) Interesting about Anepischotosia vs Anepischtos ... I had not heard or read of that problem.

3)
your plagiocephalus are actually C. pannosus
Do you know if Horner's paper (or any others that shows the latest crypto classification/distribution) is available on the web? I cannot find it.

4)
Ctenotus schomburgkii is actually Ctenotus brooksi

I wish that you were correct since I have never seen C. brooksi. What are you looking at to make this call? The key in Wilson's QLD guide states that the prefrontals are in broad contact in C. brooksi whereas they are usually separated in C. schomburgkii. Here are enlarged head shots and as you can see, the prefrontals are only slightly in contact (if at all). C. brooksi has a "pale midlateral stripe that is diffuse or absent" whereas C. schomburgkii has a sharp midlateral stripe. To me, the stripe looks well defined. I also read that their behaviours are different in Swan/Shea/Sadlier's NSW guide. In that book, they state that C. brooksi is a secretive and rarely observed skink. I certainly saw many. They both share the same habitat ... the slopes and crests of dunes. So, I still think that these are C. schomburgkii unless there is something else present that I should be examining that separates the two. I would be happy to find out that I am wrong.
Ctenotus_schomburgki7_500.jpg
Ctenotus_schomburgki5_500.jpg

5) E. margaretae -- "This is actually an undescribed species." Interesting. I take it that someone has done some work but not yet written up the split? The Flinder's lizards are no longer considered E. margaretae personata?

6) Carlia are now split into 3 genera -- also interesting. I have not seen this. Do you know of any websites available to the public that contain this info? It should be good reading.

Regards,
David

another awsome thread david, so many species you have found, yes we see a LOT of land mullets, mostly in littoral rainforest right next to the beach, always in thick patches of lantana and run down burrows on our approach. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back