Pig Hunting???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone eat wild pig?
I know the risks, but safely butchered and properly cooked it should be ok?

You are actually much better off with higher velocity calibres as they are much safer and kill things quicker. With high velocity soft bullets they break up when they hit the ground instead of bouncing off into the distance.

There are a heaps of new .17 calibers around that are quiet and are great for cats, foxes etc.

If you want to shoot pigs get atleast a .243 with a .270 being perfect IMO. They are also great on foxes and cats and with the right bullet it makes them look like they ate a stick of dynamite.

Lever actions are great for close range, but really lack in accuracy and killing power(compared with .270's etc), although you can fire quicker if you miss.

yeah, I guess it all really depends on your hunting style. Most of the hunting up here is close scrub (as in, we've been known to hunt in the pig 'tunnels' made though lantana by groups of pigs). My mate has a .30-06 with a 16 inch barrel that comes in handy for the close range stuff (and also hence the prefernce for lever/pump actions, even though they ARE inherently less accurate). I've never had to take a shot from more than 40m, and that was taken with a 12 guage using 000 buckshot.

Those wildcatter .17 are a lot of fun, but heaps more expensive than the .22 long rounds they're adapted from (but, hell, they're fun, so who cares :lol:).

Last edited:

My uncle used to catch them and feed them for a while on grains and stuff, because they eat meat 'in the wild' they taste awful or something.

We've got family at richmond who trap live and export to sweden, germany, asia, all over the place. As long as the animals are wormed when still alive they're usually ok, but I make a habit of never touching the stuff, simply because of the tuberculosis/brucellosis side of things. We've taken plenty of stuff into the game chillers, some of it gets exported for human consumption, but you have to know how to check the animal lungs/liver etc for signs of certain disease if you are gonna dress and butcher it yourself for your own food.

Like you said....cook it properly....really well done, otherwise you'll have worms faster than you can reach around a scratch yourself. :cry:

I dont eat it, they can carry heaps more stuff on top of what rednut has mentioned and you can even get stuff just by breathing in the fumes(not the right word) all sorts of nasty blood parasites and stuff.

If you can safely butcher it and cook it its fine. Safely butchering would probably require a setup making it more effort than its worth unless you do it for a job. IMO you would be better off sticking to rabbits, roos and kids for meat. Just leave the pig for the local varanids, ferals and raptors all of which can be easily shot with a camera or rifle as required :) If you catch the little ones(really good exersize if you dont have a dog lol) they could be grain fed and would go well on the spit, but they are just so cute, smart and friendly i wouldnt be able to kill one after caring for it.

A remington 7600 pump action with a 10 round mag in .270 or .308 is actually the best pig gun we can get in Australia IMO. As accurate as a standard quality bolt action with a rate of aimed fire almost as fast as semiauto. Although at the same sort of price you could get a second hand high quality bolt action that will put bullets down the same ragged hole at 100m.

I dont eat it, they can carry heaps more stuff on top of what rednut has mentioned and you can even get stuff just by breathing in the fumes(not the right word) all sorts of nasty blood parasites and stuff.

If you can safely butcher it and cook it its fine. Safely butchering would probably require a setup making it more effort than its worth unless you do it for a job. IMO you would be better off sticking to rabbits, roos and kids for meat. Just leave the pig for the local varanids, ferals and raptors all of which can be easily shot with a camera or rifle as required :) If you catch the little ones(really good exersize if you dont have a dog lol) they could be grain fed and would go well on the spit, but they are just so cute, smart and friendly i wouldnt be able to kill one after caring for it.

A remington 7600 pump action with a 10 round mag in .270 or .308 is actually the best pig gun we can get in Australia IMO. As accurate as a standard quality bolt action with a rate of aimed fire almost as fast as semiauto. Although at the same sort of price you could get a second hand high quality bolt action that will put bullets down the same ragged hole at 100m.
yeah there is a police model 7600 called the 7615 its shorter and there is 20round mags available

The only down side of the pump is they can stick shut pretty easy compared to a bolt(from a case with dust or corrosion or just a heavy load), this appears to be quite annoying to the person using it and can result in lots of cursing :lol:

The only down side of the pump is they can stick shut pretty easy compared to a bolt(from a case with dust or corrosion or just a heavy load), this appears to be quite annoying to the person using it and can result in lots of cursing :lol:

And unless you're using rimfires its generally good practice to use flat nosed rounds in your lever and pump guns, helps avoid the shells getting hung up on the base of the cartrigde case in front when loading (not to mention it avoids shells in the mag going off if you drop the rifle, lol.).

The pump .303 or 308 with a set of 5x to 8x magnification sights is my pick for up here, especially for hunting in melaleuca woodlands (seasonal floodplains).
I take it you've seen someone with a jammed shell at one point or another? :lol:

if it's tourist season how come we cant hunt them?

as far as I know, there isn't such a law. Hunting is only ever done on private property.. so tourists shouldn't be there anyway.

Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Rabbit season!
Duck season!
Tourist season!

Na i hate hunting. My dogs hate it , my sons hate it and i moved to FNQ cause i hate it sooo much :rolleyes::lol:

Attachments

• Boar 001.jpg
    Boar 001.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Burdiken 003.jpg
    Burdiken 003.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 42
  • pigs 021.jpg
    pigs 021.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 42
  • pigs 051.jpg
    pigs 051.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 40
nice pics, i know a bloke that got 57 in one weekend at Laura, all about that size

Nice Matty. I'll have to make sure the hubby sees those!
I like the your son's character LOL.
Great to see you hating the sport so much. :D:D

No worries Grumpy. If you get up this way then yous are more than welcome for a hunt and herp of course ;)

Attachments

• pigs 083.jpg
    pigs 083.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 43
  • pigs 078.jpg
    pigs 078.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00392.jpg
    DSC00392.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 33
  • cape 009.jpg
    cape 009.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 38
in just under a week we are heading out western qld, get some pigs, goats, rabbits, cats, foxes, dingoes/wild dogs and roo's, roo's just because the population gets so big in good times then when it starts to dry up they start dieing everywhere, they go to dams for water and get stuck in the mud and you dont want dead roo's polluting your drinking water.

Girls hunt too!

I hope it hasnt been ALL guys hunting pigs so far....
I used to hunt with just my dog and my knife. but because i was by myself... I have no pics of the dog actually on the pigs :(
heres my poor old dog though, and a set of tusks I mounted off a porker we caught on the way to work one morning! I don't hunt anymore, firstly cos my dog was killed by a snake last year, and secondly, the pigs down here in the mountains are WAY too fit for me!

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 36
  • tusks.jpg
    tusks.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 35
Matty.. I'd love to take you up on that offer!! Hunting, herping and maybe a bit of fishing in between.. now there's a holiday worth waiting for!!!! :D:D:D

Angua... You go girl!!! There's been a girl or two, you're not alone. And that's a nice set of hooks hon.. something to be proud of!

Hornet.... make sure you get some good pics for us to have a look at!!! Good luck.

sure will, altho i think i will get to distracted with herping and scorp hunting lol but will deffinatly try and get a few piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back