PLEASE HELP, my coastal wont eat.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharskie

Reaction score
i transported my coastal from sydney when i moved back out to the central west of nsw. She ate 3 medium rats befor she traveled down but since has not eaten a thing, last week she looked like she wanted to but didnt. I have her enclosed with her life long friend, (male coastal) and am currently raising the night temp to 24c. She has a heat mat that she goes to everynight thats located under her hide so i doubt the night temp is the issue. Im just worried is all, is it possible that the move to a colder climate about 2 and a bit months ago put her into winter mode early? If so, can this lead to starving toward the end of winter months?

carpets can go along time with out food . my big boy has only started eating again since jan i was offering him rat after rat . then a change him on to a rabbit and bang . try somthing different for him. do you feed him in his encloure . mine wont eat in his encloure no matter how hard i try. every since he started eating again .

Last edited:
ok the day temps where 30c and night time was getting dropped to 20c. i now have the night drop set to 24c and the day set to 32c as of today. She is in the same enclosure with her same friend, i have added new substrate to the enclosure but this was after she turned down a couple of feeds. i am now using wood shaving as directed by a local breeded. i feed her outside of the enclosure but have tried feeding inside, didnt work, just made him pissed off because he couldnt have it. ( so i now take him out and try to feed her in the enclosure and if she truns it dion he snaps it up in a flash.) I was guessing she wasnt to stressed from the move due to her not spewing up the rats during the move. ahhhhhh im stressing so much. she is the most beautiful natured girl, i just wish she would hurry up and learn to speak so she can just tell me whats up

its my female having the trouble bloke, my male is a bloody hoover. sucks up everything.....at every chance. She is about 3 and a half years old and is in my oppinion way under sized. i only purchased them about 8 months ago.

Last edited:
bump her temps up to 32-34 during the day and see if that helps​

Even with the temps in the enclosure up around 30c, instinct will still tell them that its cooling down and they will stop eating as much.
Has she always been housed together with the other coastal? Maybe stressed by being around another snake?

As others have said, they can go many, many, many months without eating.

My female stimmie went close to 6 months without eating.

If the male coastal is her lifelong friend don't seperate them cos this will upset her more.maybe the move was harder on her than you thought?she will eventually eat,maybe try the suggestion of something different.my mums python stopped eating for a few months,mum did the chicken after chicken to no avail,plonked a rat in there and she went troppo,never seen the old girl that lively.

oh there is no problem with the company in the enclosure, they prefer to share a hide together and most of the time if i get her out of the enclosure when she goes back in she goes straight to him. I have been feeding him 3 rats a week coming up to winter trying to fatten him up but she just seems content. she is still drinking. and i have tried smaller rats. should i try a large mouse?

what do you drop your temps to during winter? and the 3 rats per week has made him look much better. i am reducing it back to 1 to 2 a week as of the weekend just past. how long should i wait till i should worry about this no eating problem?

thanks mate appreciate the help. what do you keep?

just my two little coastals. They are enough.......... for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back