pygmy monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Looking at purchasing a pair of pygmy monitors early next year. I have done a few searches on the internet but found almost no information on them most of the search results were pygmy possums and geese. lol. I was just wondering if anyone knew where to get good info for keeping these guys and also a bit of general info. Also any major points about keeping them that I should be aware of?
thanks guys
Cheers

I am also looking at getting some. Probably gillens or tristis.
I found the book Australian Goannas by Matt Vincent and Steve Wilson to be very helpful. Also, one main point to gillens is that they will bask in temps. up to 52 degrees, but the rest of the enclosure needs a gradient of about 29 to 24. I highly recommend the book.
Good luck,
Simon

All small moniters are fairly easy to keep. A hot spot of around 40- 45c (a bit higher for adults) is probably the most important thing and a constant supply of water. Most will feed well on roaches or crickets with the odd pinkie mouse.
They don't need uvb/uva light. They are not a hard reptile to keep.

i thought that as they are a desert species and like to bask that a UV tube would be essential

IMO a UV tube would not be enough as it wouldn't give out as much heat as the monitors would need. but if you had a separate basking light then i spose you could use a UV tube.

cheers
charles

I would look into buying one of those Aussie Sun Mercury Vapour Bulbs
from the herp shop. May be a good investment.

the only problem with those bulbs is that u can't use a thermostat with them as the UV takes time to start working

When I enquired about them, Brian from Herpshop said it a little differently. Its not that the UV takes time to start working, it's that if the globes are switched off, they need to stay off for a long period of time before you switch them on again, or they'll die pretty quickly, and a thermostat may switch them on and off in fairly short periods of time, and frequently, so a thermostat will kill them.

it must be the URS ones that do. Interestingly also i have been told that monitors are able to swallow food wider as their neck

Any of the globes that require an igniter circuit should have a minimum off period and all also take up to 10 or 15 minutes to fire up. This includes hps, mv,son and these uv globes. Great lamps for permanently on circuits or switched once or twice a day but totally unsuitable for thermostatic control.

A much better explanation from someone who knows exactly what they are talking about - ta Afrifishy! :)

Moniters don't need UVB light, alot of people would tell you they do but it's not necessary.
MVBs need time to cool down before they will come on again. On the plus side they last for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back