Pygmy Python Heating

Discussion in 'Herp Help' started by Foozil, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Foozil

Foozil Well-Known Member

G'day,

I'm getting an adult (60cm) pygmy python soon, and I would like to house him in an aprox. 60Lx40Wx40H cm wooden/ melamine enclosure? Would this be an ok size? Also, what heating should I use? I'm not looking to spend too much on heating because I have limited Christmas money left ( :p ) but I do want the best for the animal and don't want to cut corners. If I use a heat lamp, can I leave it on all night? or will the light disrupt the animal?

Thanks heaps,
    Izak

richyboa72 likes this.
  2. pinefamily

pinefamily Subscriber Subscriber

You don't need night time heat. That size tank you might have trouble with a heat gradient (warm and cool ends). If you haven't already got the tank, go up a size to a 80 or 90cm tank. That will do it for life. If you're on a budget, use globes rather than a CHE. Philips brand spot globes from Bunnings are the cheapest.

Foozil likes this.
  3. richyboa72

richyboa72 Active Member

Not sure on the size for viv but A thermostat controlled ceramic bulb may be better as it doesn’t produce light and on a thermostat it won’t over heat your snake , the snake wouldn’t be too happy with a light on 24/7 they wouldn’t get that in there natural habitat

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Foozil likes this.
  4. Foozil

Foozil Well-Known Member

Thanks @pinefamily and @richyboa72 . Would I be able to use the 60Lx40Wx40H cm enclosure if I put some kind of barrier between the heat spot and the cool spot? e.g wood, rocks. If not I should be able to find a larger sized enclosure :)

or could I run some heat cord through the bottom of the enclosure and cover it with some ply wood

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    pinefamily likes this.