Python ID

Discussion in 'Reptile and Amphibian Identification' started by woody101, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woody101

woody101 Very Well-Known Member

My friends sent me a pic to see what I think. Me personally I think coastal x diamond. Was found near Springbrook area.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. PieBald

PieBald Well-Known Member

Pic doesn't work

3. Kitah

Kitah Subscriber Subscriber

Springbrook it will be a coastal- even though there is no picture. Nowild diamonds around here. Coastals can have a significant amount of variation in pattern, and a lot of people seem to think they are diamonds or hybrids because of this.

4. woody101

Kitah Ive live on Springbrook mountain my whole life I can promise you they are there very very rare to find but they have been seen and noted by National parks :)

5. Gruni

Gruni Very Well-Known Member

Just a coastal.

6. thomasssss

thomasssss Very Well-Known Member

if you mean springbrook qld then...i can guarantee you there is no diamonds there that are naturally supposed to be there (the only case would be escaped pets and snakes that have somehow been moved their via trucks etc) you wont even find a diamond in qld full stop , the natural intergrade line starts at around coffs harbour nsw and runs down the coast where full diamonds start to appear then stretches into vic if you google the diamond pythons natural range than you will notice this is the case , they all may be slightly different but none will go into qld, these maps where not done by me but by other herpers who have been at it for a rather long time

and from looking at the pic id say its a plain old coastal , if i was to think it was an intergrade or cross of anything it would be jungle but i dont think thats the case anyway :)

7. woody101

So your telling me thomassss that snakes are only aloud where google maps say they are?...
    And about the escaped pet I'm with you on that one. As ive seen a few snakes around the Gold Coast that were escaped pets.

Ive also been told by Snake demonstrator's there no Red bellies or death adders on Springbrook which is a complete lie.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  8. thomasssss

thomasssss Very Well-Known Member

no im not saying they check google before travelling im saying that over the many many years that many respectable herpers have been doing what theyve been doing they have produced what they call distribution maps , they give you an idea of where you will find certain snakes

diamonds having the needs they have regarding hot temperatures are not present anywhere north of port maquarie(spelling) at best where there still an intergrade not full diamond

...have a little read of this

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/faq-intergrade-54862/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  9. Bluetongue1

Bluetongue1 Guest

Woody,
    You say individuals in the past have given you specific distribution information that was incorrect. Then in the same breath, when someone offers an independent means of validating the distribution information they have given you, your reaction is to belittle it. I think you be thankful that Thomasss responded in the informative manner in which he did.

Blue

10. junglelover01

junglelover01 Active Member

Along with valuable info collated by dedicated experts, I'd also be inclined to think that snakes have a natural instinct to stay within the climate/conditions that are most suited to their survival.

11. Gruni

Woody, what is the point of you posting and then getting that defensive about what is found where. For there to be true Diamonds in the Springbrook area they must somehow have crossed a terrain gap to reach a micro climate that is to their liking, being very isolated from the 'accepted' distribution range for the species, or else they are escaped/released snakes. If your sightings are that rare then you would need to question if they are an established colony or due to another cause.

What Thomassss was getting at was the recognised natural area of distribution for them the same way that we know that Stimi's only reach so far across the North and Central Australia it doesn't mean they can't survive in the Daintree or the Bundaberg hinterland but would you expect to find one there realistically. As you can see there are out riders sighted elsewhere (assuming the sightings on the map from Stimson's python (Antaresia stimsoni) at the Australian Reptile Online Database | AROD.com.au are acurate and valid sightings of WILD specimens) but generally speaking it is pretty clear where you would expect/not expect to find them. This is no different for other species including Diamonds and are based largely on the formal study of established populations rather than sightings of a single specimen.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  12. Bushman

Bushman Very Well-Known Member

It's a carpet python aka Morelia spilota. The rest is speculation.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  13. eipper

eipper Very Well-Known Member APS Veteran

The snake is a carpet python, as said.

There are no confirmed records of Diamond Pythons at Springbrook, Lamington, Mt Tamborine or anywhere else on the McPherson Range.

14. JasonL

JasonL Almost Legendary

looks nothing like a diamond anyway

15. sharky

sharky Very Well-Known Member

Looks like it has some Jungle in it :? I'd be going for coastalxjungle even though that is impossible in your area unless this fella was an escaped pet or caught a lift under someones car, etc.

16. Gruni

We were saying the exact same thing last night Sharkyy when a more experienced mate and I were looking at it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.