Quick Question Regarding Heating...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i noticed theres a large gap between the temp of my mat and the temp inside the tank... my snake likes to sit as close to it as possible and just wondering... do u measure the temp of the mat or inside, ive seen people say the prob should be about 3/4 down the side, but im guessing this is towards heat lamps? theres no way mine is getting to 32-34c without being like 80 on the mat itself?

at the moment i have the thermometer under the paper sort of where mat is (snakey moves it around a little, and its sitting comfortable at 29+ (it gets cold around here -4 tonight! so a bit hard to always keep a stable 32-34)

and if i put it on top of the mat (outside of tub) its at 38-39? does this sound right?

My heat mat is outside the tank, 1/2 underneath the snake's hide. I have a temperature probe inside the hide and outside as well. The actual temperature of the mat doesn't matter, what matters are the temperatures the snake is experiencing. If the mat is 100C, and the temperature inside the tank is optimal, then that's okay. The only thing you have to watch out for is the snake doesn't burn itself, which is why I have my mat outside the tank. As for where to put your thermometer probes, place them where the snake usually is - that is, one in the hide, and one outside near the middle of the tank.

My heat mat is outside the tank, 1/2 underneath the snake's hide. I have a temperature probe inside the hide and outside as well. The actual temperature of the mat doesn't matter, what matters are the temperatures the snake is experiencing. If the mat is 100C, and the temperature inside the tank is optimal, then that's okay. The only thing you have to watch out for is the snake doesn't burn itself, which is why I have my mat outside the tank. As for where to put your thermometer probes, place them where the snake usually is - that is, one in the hide, and one outside near the middle of the tank.
Thanks for the reply! Seems like I have everything as should be!

I should have clarified the mat is outside :p

Thanks again! Nice simple answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back