rats!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

popp

Reaction score
:p Just wondering if rats can retain sperm,i have 2 mums that both had pups 1 was bout a month ago & the other about 5-7 days later,i havent removed the first lot of babies as they were just weaning.I looked in this morning & now have a new lot of rat pups i didnt notice one was even pregnant & really wasnt looking as rats in there ; a) had just given birth only 4 weeks earlier b) there was only babies & 2 mums no male,what do you guys n girls think im a bit confussed. :p

Rats get pregnant again as soon as the babies are born was the male ever in with the babies even a few minutes after they were born. And one more thing i might be getting super mice does anyone know how many babies they have.

W T .... is a SUPER MOUSE :?: :?: :?:
or are you doing a little leg pulling?

OZ

He's probably referring to a certain strain of lab mice known for high birthing yields. If heard reports of mice that routinely have 15 to 20 babies every litter. Have yet to find out strain number, but I'm sure this is accurate as have heard from very reliable sources. I'm sure I could make a phone call or email or two and find out if so inclined. These guys are one of worlds largest suppliers of lab mice, and more info than you could possibly digest can be found on their site.

http://jaxmice.jax.org/index.html

As for original question, never ever heard of a case of rat retaining sperm. That is, using sperm from mating that occurred before or while pregnant, to get pregnant again. They can delay implantation however. That is, mate, but delay the onset of pregnancy for a week or two. I'm not real sure if they are delaying fertilization of eggs, or if eggs are fertilized at mating, but don't start growing 'till she's ready for them.

Long story short, I'm positive that she must of had some contact with fertile male after the delivery of first litter. Now after can be 5 minutes as brenden pointed out, or 5 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back