Scorpions and Herping in S.A?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naledge

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of going out on the weekend and looking around for herps and inverts, taking photos etc.

My dad's lived here (Mount Gambier, South East S.A on the VIC border) and he said he's never seen a scorpion before.

I was just wondering whether there are any commonly around this area and what kind of places they'd be in?

Hopefully I'll see some herps, not betting on it though. Also, elapids scare the hell out of me, and that's the only kind of snake we have here haha. So just incase I see any, what's a safe distance? I've never had any experience with them so I don't wanna be out of my league.

A safe distance would be far enough away that you feel comfortable and can take your pics without total blur from shaking haha

check on the aif mate,i have stated what species of scorpions are in that area,good luck with your adventure

G'day Naledge,

I've herped Mt Gambiar, Penola, Millicent, Kangadoo etc pretty extensively. I don't recall seeing any scorpions but I wouldn't remember anyway as they don't interest me.

Tigers and Copperheads are quite common, as are White Lipped Snakes and the odd Eastern Brown. All but the White Lippeds are highly venomous and can have big tempers so give them a wide berth.

As for lizards...Bluey's are common, with the odd Shingleback and plenty of other bits and pieces such as Eulamprus heatwolei, Hemiergis decresiensis, Acritoscincus duperreyi etc. Nothing amazing really.

Just got back from herping around the Naracoorte/Penola area. Saw loads of Neobatrachus, Litoria ewingi, Limnodynastes peroni, a few little beardies and a nice looking tiger snake.

Just start tipping rocks and you'll find scorpions if they're there. I used to have a portable black light to wander around and find them at night as they glow under a blacklight but I have found just as many during the day by tipping rocks. There are heaps here in cairns though no one really sees them most people are suprised when you tell them they're here. I took my son out last weekend and we must have got more than ten of them in under an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back