Snake ID please

Discussion in 'Reptile and Amphibian Identification' started by tropicbreeze, Feb 8, 2019.

1. tropicbreeze

tropicbreeze Active Member

What's the possibility of getting a good ID from these photos? I think it's Demansia papuensis which is common in the area - about 50 kms south of Darwin. I understand Demansia atra is also in the area, but I can't differentiate between the two. It's active during the day. The area is a bit scrubby with Melaleuca and tall Acacia, with swamp and creek nearby but still dry at the time photos taken.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This I think is the same but it was about 120 kms south of Darwin. It was chasing a Carlia skink. Missed out on its dinner and the Carlia lived to see another day. The area was cleared grazing land with sparse pockets of residual scrub or regrowth.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help with an ID.

Imported_tuatara likes this.
  2. GBWhite

GBWhite Well-Known Member

They are both very much alike but just going off the first lot of photos I can't see any spotting around the snout/nose so without having it in hand to count the ventrals I'd say Lesser Black Whip (Demansia vestigiata) Which was previously D atra. Can't tell which one the second one is.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    tropicbreeze likes this.
  3. tropicbreeze

tropicbreeze Active Member

Thanks for those comments. It's always a bit difficult getting close enough to a Whip Snake to get a photo let alone flipping it over to get the ventrals. The same snake seems to hang around here a bit so might get the opportunity to get some better photos later.