Snake ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

symbol

Reaction score
Hi all

I just come back from Western NSW and rescued this 'black snake' from my cousins property. It did not have Red (or any other color) on its underbelly. Is it possible to get a black snake without the colors I have come to expect out in Western NSW? Do Blue Bellys frequent that area? What type of Black snake is this?

I have also attached a pic of a nice looking beardy I seen on my travels.

I have attached a few pics for your opiion.

Symb

Attachments

• DSC02790.jpg
    DSC02790.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC02791.jpg
    DSC02791.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC02792.jpg
    DSC02792.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC02763.jpg
    DSC02763.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 48
I thought it looks like a blue belly...but then again I haven't seen a whole heap of them to be totally certain (let alone knowing the locale of them) Beautiful animal none-the-less :D

spotted black snake like ryan said, also known as the blue belly black snake. Some spotteds are lucky enough to have lovely blue bellys, some turn out with grey spots, there is also red morphs. Nice looking snake either way and a great rescue. not %100 on where they are seen but If I remember correctly it was somewhere in NSW.

this one looks like it may have had a more blue belly as a youngster and is just loosing it now. Again lovely snake, would love to have something like that in my collection.

Unspotted Spotted Black Snakes are fairly common throughout all of their range. They also seem to dominate what is available in captivity.

Thanks for that guys! Much appreciated. I had a feeling it may have been a BBBS, however I DID NOT know Blue belly and spotted were the same thing! Learn something every day.

I had to destroy a gorgeous Brown snake just outside of inverell. Someone had run it over and it was squirming in pain and split open. Very sad.

I had to destroy a gorgeous Brown snake just outside of inverell. Someone had run it over and it was squirming in pain and split open. Very sad.

What a shame, at least you saved that black snake. He's a ripper, really lovely looking snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back