Spotted Python won't eat but acts like she is hungry?

Discussion in 'Herp Help' started by DatBoi21, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DatBoi21

DatBoi21 New Member

ive got a 9-10 month old spotted python and shes a sweetheart but recently shes been having some feeding issues where at first it just took like 40 mins for her to actually eat then she started eating good and now shes just like eh nice food you got, ill just lick it then slither away. all of her temps are good, humidity is fine, the gradiate is on point, she has a hide on the cool side of her tank, but for some reason she just kinda sniffs the food then stares at it for a few seconds then backs off as if offended by it lmfao

2. Tarron

Tarron Active Member

Have you tried leaving the rat in the tank for abit?

pinefamily and Foozil like this.
  3. DatBoi21

DatBoi21 New Member

i left a hopper in there for a night and it was beat up the next day as if the snake tried to eat it or just attacked it then went about her usual hideing under the bedding or her hide lifestyle like nothing happend, and shes never aggresive towards me, always soft never tense, and shes only bit me once in the chin when she was a baby x'DD

4. Tarron

Tarron Active Member

Mhm, hopper rat or mice? Has she been eating fine with that same size food? Is the food thawed properly and a little bit hot? Maybe just try next week

5. pinefamily

pinefamily Subscriber Subscriber

Has anything changed with the python's enclosure? Position of tank, heating, etc?

Scutellatus likes this.
  6. DatBoi21

DatBoi21 New Member

shes been in the same tank all her life so far same setup just every so often i change her bedding out with fresh bedding.

shes a live feeder only, shes only taken down one hopper and then got alittle freaked out when they actually struggled, so this time i got her two decent fuzzies to compensate size wise and she just bit one and slithered off as if nothing happend

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2017
  7. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

Have you tried frozen / thawed??

8. pinefamily

pinefamily Subscriber Subscriber

Personally, if your python is in good health, I would wait a month or so, and then offer a frozen/thawed prey. Ideally it is better if you can get it off the live food. The delay should make it hungry.

ronhalling and Scutellatus like this.
  9. ronhalling

ronhalling Subscriber Subscriber

As @pinefamily suggested, if there is nothing suggestive of some sort of medical condition i.e. a RI and the snake is in good physical condition then there will be no problem with not feeding it for a month or 6 weeks and then offer it a frozen/thawed Hopper Rat, if it is really hungry then after that amount of time it should be ready to eat the crutch out of a rag doll, if it does not take it then wait a week and then try something a little smaller, but the sooner you get it off live food the better for all concerned as it is only a matter of time before something goes wrong

[​IMG]
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

pinefamily, Snapped and Bl69aze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.