Step by step guide to fake rock backgrounds and hides etc

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for this thread me and my husband will try this. i want to do a hide e hole for my python..

yeah once the acryllic paint dries (I left mine overnight) it's ready to go. I used liquid nails to screw it to some thin plywood then screwed the plywood to the back of the enclosure.

snake loves it!

just stocked up on my lunch break but i purchased cement and sand mix instead of buying seperately, anyone else done this? I'll probably get some more sand to add to a final coat... :)

Way to go do it yourselfers. Just got myself some cement premix, oxides for colouring and a waterproof sealer that is eco friendly.

Also hooked myself up a new blow torch and three fittings, different flame can give a broad finnish or a more defined finnish.

Had to laugh though, got the stuff I felt would do the job, and when I got home I logged on to Aussie Pythons and here it all was, to the letter. If I saw this sooner I would have spent less time at Bunnings.

Good to know I'm doing the right thing.

Hey guys,
I made a corner piece for my Blonde Mac.
I joined 2 100mm pieces together to make a corner.

This is it so far, all I have done with it is seal it.. still need to do all the coats etc.

:)

Rockwall.jpg

Thanks mate, been looking for something like this from an Aussie. All the American how-to's are done using products under different trade names and can be a bit of a hassle decifering. One more thing, I'm on the sunny coast and have had some trouble getting materials. If you could help out, that would be great.

I saw a thread once (i think it was on here) about building backgrounds etc using expanda-foam. The ones you have done look a bit more impressive & natural. Probably cheaper too, the expanda-foam can be pretty expensive depending on how much you need to use.
Cheers

I am in the process of setting up our lizard house wich is 3.3m round 1.2 high and you have solved all of my troubles. I was concerned about using rocks as the arrangement might collapse and hurt the lizards. Thankyou Tooninoz. I will post some pics up when completed.

Thanks for this guide, looks great. I've had an idea but I've never seen it done before- could i creat one or two of these to use as the floor of the cage? if i built two them i could swap them over between cleaning and to give the snake some variation. It would also give lots of chance to make hidey holes all the way through the cage.
Just an idea, no idea if it would work.
I know cleaning would be a bit more difficult, but I'm prepared to deal with that. My main concern is that it could be a bit rough on the snakes skin if it's on it 24/7? he's on gravel at the moment but that has a bit more give in it because it moves.

Anyway, any feedback would be handy, esp. if you have previously tried this before!
Thanks much, Jamie

awesome guide!!!. im going to give a big rock wall a crack in a few days. hopefully itll come up half as good as the ones pctures haha

Thanks for this thread mate, I have just gotta give this a go- that wall above looks amazing too with the Easter Island Faces- Amazing work !!

i just finished making up a small one. anyway i used several bits of foam which i pva glued together to make a piece large/thick enough for what i needed. seemed to work fine
and also i used cornice cement mixed with watered down pva, purely because i had it lieing around, but it also seemed to work perfectly.
now i just have to seal it and paint it up.

this is a DIY herpers dream! thanks for this how to, i cant wait to get started. my jungle girl is in a vivarium that is big enough, but its also a little high, and she doesnt get any use out of the top half, so making one of these as a wall climb is a fantastic idea!

im gonig to start straight away...:D

now the only difficult part... finding styrafoam! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back