thorny devils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone does. They are too hard to keep. They need thousands of ants a week. A bit hard to feed.

yeah i guess, but if you lived on a property with heaps of bull ant colony's you could probelly bring them over to the ant hill for an hour or so mayby?

use the search function

yeah i guess, but if you lived on a property with heaps of bull ant colony's you could probelly bring them over to the ant hill for an hour or so mayby?

They dont eat bullants, they try but their mouth is too small, they eat tiny black ants by the thousands.

They don't eat bullants, they eat small black ants, and only when they're running in trails - they don't pick them up randomly. They aren't that difficult to keep if you have sufficient outdoor space to let them live fairly 'normal' lives. I used to put them into bottomless canary cages, place these over the ant trails for the day, and just leave them to themselves. I had some for 6-7 years and they remained quite healthy.

Jamie

I remember reading they have one of the most specific diets on the planet of any animal. I would imagine it would be hard to supply thousands of ants a day unless you have a colony in your backyard.

I remember reading on here you cant keep them, even if you could get the 1000 andt per day they stress and die, or something else but they just die in captivity.

i think the only person who owns them lives at alice springs and works at the alice springs reptile centre, i think crocodile cove might have a pair?......

i think the only person who owns them lives at alice springs and works at the alice springs reptile centre, i think crocodile cove might have a pair?......
I also think Sydney Wildlife World had one.
Oh and the Melbourne museum or something?
But there are some private keepers who keep them.

Again I refer you to previous threads, there has been heaps of input. Some very interesting stuff.

I remember reading on here you cant keep them, even if you could get the 1000 andt per day they stress and die, or something else but they just die in captivity.

Read some of the posts in the thread before you post things that indicate you know nothing about the subject...

They are difficult, not for novices, but not impossible...

Jamie

use the search function

They dont eat bullants, they try but their mouth is too small, they eat tiny black ants by the thousands.

Only ever seen one in the wild, nearly drove over the little guy when travelling high way between Fitzroys Xing and Kununarra in the Kimberleys (in autumn 2000). Pulled over and walked back to have look at it and to pick it up and move it about 100m away from the road.

Didn't seem to mind being handled.

Always wondered what kind of ants they liked, Was told by someone they'll raid termite nests as well as little ants.
Little back ants wouldn't be hard to keep as a colony. They are prolific breeders and everyone has them in their yard and garden.

Who ever suggested using raiding bull ant nests must be crazy.... those buggers are vicious and really hurt when they sting you, if you think green ants are bad, their sting is a love tap in comparison. You wouldn;t want them in a container in the house or the car, if they got out you'd have to vacate the premises and fumigate it to get rid of them.

The Alice Springs Desert Park and Alice Springs Reptile centre, do keep and breed the Thorny Devils, because they a found in the wild where these 2 zoos a located, and can be assured of providing them with their natural diet tiny black Ants, that a only found in that region Central Australia.

l also know of someone who keeps and breeds these awesome Lizards privately in South Australia, l cannot mention their name or where abouts they a located in South Australia sorry.

Last edited:
disregard this post

Last edited:
What a rude response are you one of those types that likes to belittle people at every opportunity?
Read some of the posts in the thread before you post things that indicate you know nothing about the subject...They are difficult, not for novices, but not impossible...Jamie

THORNY DEVILS GENERALLY EAT MEAT ANTS IN THE WILD, AND ONLY MEAT ANTS.
Bit of a contradiction lol

What a rude response are you one of those types that likes to belittle people at every opportunity?
Dont mind jamie, he may seem harsh but hes just a sofie lol Sure he didnt mean to sound unkind.

I know that there are people who keep them and theyll accept meat as well as ants, among other things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back