thorny devils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wildlife world specimen/s died due to not being able to be cooled well enough at night if i recall a talk from one of their keepers correctly. There are also one or two private keepers in QLD with them. They have been offered on herpshop.com.au years ago for about $4000. Buyers had to prove they could sustain their diet.

The wildlife world specimen/s died due to not being able to be cooled well enough at night if i recall a talk from one of their keepers correctly. There are also one or two private keepers in QLD with them. They have been offered on herpshop.com.au years ago for about $4000. Buyers had to prove they could sustain their diet.

That price is rediculous. No wonder some people are tempted to catch and sell reptiles illegally.

I'm betting the seller had no takers. Heck they'd spend the money on a desert safari and catch a few of their own and keep them in secret, it would be lots cheaper (not that I''m advocating this - I think they are better left in the wild and watched and photographed insitu and then left to do their own thing).

Last edited:
For a dedicated collector, 4000 aint that much. Remember, GTPs were around this cost a few year ago.
A few years ago RSP's were something like $10000 a pair, so I think $4000 for a new, hard to keep species in the hobby is pretty reasonable. Due to the rarity in the hobby you'd expect the cost to be high, but I dont think its ridiculous at all.

What a rude response are you one of those types that likes to belittle people at every opportunity?

Hmm... I might be :), but not at EVERY opportunity, only carefully selected ones! I only belittle people when, despite the information already available in the thread from someone who has experience with the subject, they post with a series of absolutes which indicate they are spruiking unhelpful hearsay.

Jamie

Thorny devils don't just eat any black ants but a specific genus of ants. The species they feed on out west has a close relative here on the coast (Sydney) so they can be kept outside of the red centre provided one has a few colonies of these ants going.

their natural diet tiny black Ants, that a only found in that region Central Australia.

Thorny devils don't just eat any black ants but a specific genus of ants. The species they feed on out west has a close relative here on the coast (Sydney) so they can be kept outside of the red centre provided one has a few colonies of these ants going.

Spot on crocdoc. I've known captive animals that are fed from ant colonise originally collected from Ballarat in Vic.

And as I say every time I comment on a Moloch thread. They're actually dead easy to keep. There is nothing difficult about maintaining a captive ant colony.

Last edited:
how would you know Jordo????.....go on rub it in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back