Varanus mitchelli enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon_Archibald

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well there was some discussion a little time ago between myself and some other members about housing of Mitchell's Water Monitors. I'm currently keeping a trio of hatchies and am soon to take delivery of 2 more.

I thought to give anyone else interested an idea of what sort of setup works. Originally in this tub I had water as the substrate and a plastic tub filled with sand, but this was not easily managable and the monitors had trouble being fed because the food used to jump into the water and eventually drowned. With more land area the insects now walk around and are happily eaten.

There are 2 heat globes in the enclosure...a 100watt and a 60watt reflector globe. This helps to keep the hot end temps at a really good level and counter-acts all the heat lost through the lid.

The pool is a small plastic tub that has a 25watt Aqua One aquarium heater in there...temps are set on the heater to 25 degrees. There is also a water pump to circulate the water. I believe the monitors are much more inclined to use the water if it is running (something we discussed in that old thread in relation to water dragons). When the pump is on the monitors will normally launch straight into the water if my presence happens to startle them. If the pump is off, every time they will run for the hide box, no matter how far they are from it.

Enjoy....:)

Simon Archibald

thats a really cool enclosure Simon!!! Well done mate!

You can see how much room they have by checking out the little fella clinging to the side of the tub in the second shot!!! LOL, he looks tiny!

nice set-up mate!!!
they look great!!
where will you be keeping them when they have grown out of that one??

Thank you so much for sharing that Simon, it really helps other herpers out with idea's for setups.
How often will you have to clean the water out and is it relativley easy to access?
Any chance for pictures of your adult tristis? I am ready to purchase some hatchies when they become avalible and would love to see your adults and their setup.
Cheers,
Simon O'Brien

Great enclosure. I think its wonderful how the price of these wonderful little lizards has plummeted in the last 6-8 months. I remember seeing mitchelli for over $700 not all that long ago. Now around $500 is the norm!

Chris: I really haven't come to a definate decision about their housing as adults. I've got a million ideas about it but nothing I've decided yet.

Simon: No probs at all mate. Attached are 2 pics of the female tristis and their setup...photos of the male maybe some other time.

Simon Archibald

Thanks Pete...yes I make all my enclosures. They are not flashy to look at by anyone's standards, but my main focus is the environment in them.

Also should note that I like to change my monitor enclosures around every few weeks or so...different logs, branches, etc. Really seems to keep the monitors active and alert...they love to explore "new" environments. Those photos of the tristis enclosure are a bit old and the furnishing is totally different now.

Simon Archibald

what have u made those last to enlosures out of? did they need slealing?

Pete...
The Varanus mitchelli enclosure is made out of 12mm plywood. It is not sealed at all.

The Varanus tristis enclosure is made out of 12mm MDF with 32mm MDF struts stopping the roof from sagging...expensive but quick and effective to do. This was varnished with about 4 or 5 coats. Inside joins are sealed with silicon.

Simon Archibald

aight cheers man, i'm still going through my options of what to make enclosures out of.

hey nice enclosure simon how big do mitchelli get?

Looks like a very happy chappy Simon :D

I'm still contemplating making a new enclosure out of MDF. I'm thinking I may spraypaint it with an automotive 2 pac, and use a matting agent to try and keep the glare factor down :roll: It's easy for me to go a little overboard with the design seeing that I only have the one animal :lol:

Thanks for that Simon, awsome enclosures and animals. Really appreciated.
Simon

Ricko: Varanus mitchelli get up between 60 and 95cm long.

Nome: The hatchies are approx 15cm ATM...at a rough guess.

Simon Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back