Varanus mitchelli enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
great little monitors, i had the pleasure of seeing my first wild ones. i was walking down a stream and from about 8m up a tree, one dive-bombs into the water next to me! i had no idea these did this from that hieght

how many would it be safe to keep in a 7x3x2 foot glass enclosure...

I've got one designed, originally for mertens. but i can get a major discount on two.

Keelow...
You could probably keep a trio of Mitchell's in an enclosure that size. Personally I think it would be too small to house Merten's in.

Simon Archibald

it's only a means to an end, i'm moving to QLD in 12-18 months.

Mertens will be going outdoors then.

there is a aquarium/reptile shop in st kilda that has a mertens, be close to adult it's about 2.5 - 3 years old
in a glass cube about a metre square.

now thats WAY too small. and it's not for sale last time i asked, so it's living in there for good i spose.

mean while they have about 10 very young GWD's in a tank about 9x3x2.

keelow said:
it's only a means to an end, i'm moving to QLD in 12-18 months.

Mertens will be going outdoors then.

Why don't you wait until you move then? Or are you getting hatchies for that enclosure then moving them outdoors? That would probably be ideal.

keelow said:
there is a aquarium/reptile shop in st kilda that has a mertens, be close to adult it's about 2.5 - 3 years old
in a glass cube about a metre square.

now thats WAY too small. and it's not for sale last time i asked, so it's living in there for good i spose.

mean while they have about 10 very young GWD's in a tank about 9x3x2.

Obviously idiots.

Simon Archibald

Yea, I know of that place, I love going in just to look at the merten's. Although it is very small, the monitors seem pretty content basking and swimming around and it never looks like they are cramped. The enclosure is set up very well and the animals are quite small. However I do agree, how hard is it for an aquarium like that to give them a larger enclosure?

Anyway to the point of this reply,
Simon I am just currious as to the temps you run your tristis at. I will have a sub-adult female in a week and have been preparing the enclosure (1m Long x 1m High x 50cm deep). At the moment I am able to create a basking area of beetween 45-47 up high under the branches, a warm area of 35-37 on the ground and a cool end of 27ish. From what you know, are these suitible? Any other hints/tips on keeping them?
Thanks
Simon O'Brien

Simon,
Those temps sound pretty good. My tristis enclosure gets up to around 60+ at the hot end in these summer conditions, other end not less than 30. Still they tend to be up the "hot" end.

I provide fresh cold water everyday so the supply is clean and cool.

Simon Archibald

How often will you have to clean the water out and is it relativley easy to access?
i saw Matt (www.animalattraction.com) ha this water vaccum thingy i thought was quite clever which sucks all the water and crud out and then he just fills it up again, when ever it needs it i spose, then the rest of the enclosure would be like any arid herps i spose....

Angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back