wanted crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldnt use the drinking bowl supplements, A quick story,
I got 2 hatchlings last season, 1 is doing fine, the other one is still only 2 inches long.
I thought it was stress from the other and tried all sorts of things
He will only eat woodies if they drop at his feet and 4 only.
He was battling along until I noticed he had started to shed so I misted him.
This is when I realized the little guy had not been drinking from his water bowl whatsoever (full of clean water constantly for him).
He drank and drank and drank and I felt the cruelest mongrel and so sorry for the little guy thinking he must have been so thirsty.
This little beardie is as much work as my entire collection, but he is on the mend now and I spoil him.
I have learnt from my mistake to never assume an animal is drinking because it has a water bowl and I wouldnt recommend to anyone to try and supply vitamin supplements to an animal this way.
I think we all make mistakes and have learning experiences, please don't judge me for what I have done, but I would rather relay my error to avoid anyone else making the same mistake.

Common story ad. A lot of small beardies and (I believe) monitors will only drink when sprayed with a mister. Usually at about 3-6 months they will start drinking from a bowl. Some though will never drink from a bowl and need spraying at leat once every 3 days for life....

Well I WILL judge you for it ad! My judgement is that you are a top bloke for sharing the info. It's all too easy to cover up ones mistakes for fear of what people will think and much harder to come out and tell everyone what you did to help others avoid the same mistake, which is what you did. In my book you are A O K mate :) Good onya

how big is the beardie? now im gunna mist mine all the time now is it eating woodies all the time now?

Thanks Africaman!
Magpie, I got onto a beardie site after this and they said to always mist them so it must be a common thing.
Brendan the little guy is picking up, he still will only eat woodies and nothing else. He wont eat them from a chinese container so I have to throw them at his feet. He will only take 4-5 maximum. I'm hoping when it warms up and when he gets some size he will be self-sufficient.
Size wise he is only the size of a hatchling though his head looks a bit more mature if that makes sense. He has gained weight, is pooping normal and looks brighter now though.

Aren't beardies meant to shed their skin.... as in like snakes do.... because mine have both shed there skins and I asumed that is normal.... they are both very active and seem to not have any trouble at all :S
nev

pheeeuuuffff thought my lizzies were dehydrated :oops:

quote <ad> He will only eat woodies if they drop at his feet and 4 only.
He was battling along until I noticed he had started to shed so I misted him.

whats he talking bout then???
ta NeV

I mist my reptiles with water from a squirter bottle to help them with the shed , this is how I discovered the beardie was thirsty. He drank the water i was spraying at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back