Warning graphic picture! Look what we found dead on the side of the road.

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by Coppersimon, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomasssss

thomasssss Very Well-Known Member

is heathcote road a highway? i thought it was a minor road (so say 60k limit) which is why the op was able to get the pics , either way if they thought it was rope they would of have to had thought it was a bloody thick piece of rope (which i know is made for certain reasons but it isnt very common) and if your a decent driver and the animal doesn't just run in-front of you (which a boa could not do), you should be able to avoid it , i speak from experience their , i live in the country and the amount of animals ive missed on the road is crazy , and yes ive done it at 100kph

2. Variety

Variety Well-Known Member

Speaking from experience ? so you must have alot of experience and dare i say be always aware and keeping an eye out for any animals that may jump out, ALOT of drivers have a hard time staying on the road .. Im just saying its not right to assume this was done on purpose

3. thomasssss

thomasssss Very Well-Known Member

yep :) speaking from experience , i could start putting down experiences that i remember off the top of my head if you would like ? like the coastal i dodged as i came around a corner ( he didnt like being moved off the road ) or the family of ducks that where making their way across the highway near the road works at coffs , only just missed them , then theirs the countless roos ive missed , like i said i live in country not the city of large suburban area so animals on the road is a common thing to encounter

im not saying that it was done on purpose im also not going to start making excuses for them , imo if you are aware on the road like you should be then you would see it coming provided it wasn't in heavy traffic etc which if it was id expect to see less of the snake intact

just re read what you wrote , just this part " always be aware and keeping an eye out for any animals that may jump out at you " your not implying the boa just jumped out in front of this driver are you ? ive seen roos jump out in front of me , birds swoop down in front of me , hell one night i even had a possum jump out of a tree onto the road but never a snake

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. Variety

Variety Well-Known Member

Yeah fair call .. Also i didnt take into account how close it was to the edge of the road

5. mcloughlin2

mcloughlin2 Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that some people in this thread are concerned about the size of the snake, and thay by being larger and eating larger prey items it will somehow cause more ecological damage then a relocated native species such as a woma? It actually should be the opposite line of thinking, larger species of animals gain greater support by the general public so are often protected at a greater rate then say some rare species of native rodent or marsupial that is suitable size for a woma to eat. In reality this massive online hate for exotics does nothing to help the cause, people should actively participate in things that's will find a suitable solution, not jump on a bandwagon with their pitch forks and start chanting that exotics are the end of us all, riddled with rare, exotic diseases. Anyway, that's my two cence.

6. fourexes

fourexes Well-Known Member

not to mention those white lines are at least 4 inches wide....

Was the entire snake there simon? seems short for the girth but it's hard to tell when it looks like it's been through a blender :?

7. JasonL

JasonL Almost Legendary

Yes they popped out a clutch..... about the same time as people here started popping out clutches of Jags

- - - Updated - - -

Boas at Heathcote..... well I guess thats better than all the corns that turn up.... well if you can't afford a South American herping holiday the Engadine Motor Inn is the next best thing!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thats no Rainbow Boa

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. Dendrobates

Dendrobates Active Member

Wow! What an amazing coincidence :shock:

9. JasonL

JasonL Almost Legendary

Incredible really.... I mean what are the chances..

10. treeofgreen

treeofgreen Well-Known Member

Hope it ate a heap of uncontrolled cats before it died. Poor fella :( beautiful animals either way you look at it.

11. -Peter

-Peter Guest

Well, its the right area for red tails...

12. Coppersimon

Coppersimon Well-Known Member

Yes the entire snake was there and was about 6 foot maybe but it was fat, about 30cm thick in the middle and that line would be about 20cm thick.

13. Coppersimon

Here's a few more pics[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Mangy_Wombat

Mangy_Wombat Well-Known Member

Heathcote Road is a 100kh speed road and very dark with no street lighting (well it was the last time I was on it) so it is reasonable to think the driver had very little time to see what it was and even to recognise what it was.

15. JasonL

JasonL Almost Legendary

Which part of Heathcote Rd was it?.... Its a long road

16. fantapants

fantapants Active Member

I wish someone would release a decent exotic like say for instance a King Cobra! just one i'm not greedy :)

17. Skelhorn

Skelhorn Very Well-Known Member

Is that a red tailed boa? What a shame. Would have been a score "rescuing" that from the wild

18. Pauls_Pythons

Pauls_Pythons Power Seller Power Seller

Boa constrictor constrictor

19. Coppersimon

Just on the northern side of the bridge closest to heathcote.

20. cement

cement Subscriber Subscriber APS Veteran

Look, another one dead in the bush back in 2011.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.