What is it with corn snakes????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garthy

Reaction score
I can't believe how many corn snakes are here! I had a lady the other day said she was hoping to be given a couple of corn snakes just so she can turn them in. i told her to get as many as she can and euthenase (sp?) the lot.
What is wrong with people?
As far as I am concerned, anyone that is intelligent enough to keep reptiles properly, should also be intelligent enough to knoe the dangers of introduced species (albeit accidental). eg Burmese in Everglades, etc

Lol exotics have been here longer then weve been keeping natives.. we will never be rid of them.

this still does not mean they should be encouraged. its the equivalent of saying "it's inevitable that we're going to run out of clean water, so why not start having 30 minute showers every day"

I'd rather see the smugglers euthanised, not the snakes.

Agreed. But i think we should be allowed to keep some exotics only on a class 5 licence or something like that only for the experienced keepers on the condition that they cant breed them.

Ben

Simply put, humans are greedy. Majority of people couldn't care less about our native environment, long as they got a pretty little snake.

The old corn snakes are getting bashed around again,theres more Corns-milksnakes etc then alot of Natives.Why cant people just get over them,there here and killing a few wont even put a dent in the population.Quess how many people DONT have a reptile licence..HEAPS..and most own a exotic,ALOT of people that ive known started with Corns..I know some people that have a albino Burmese,and its a legit on licence reptile.So should we all get nasty because its a exotic and go kill it..

I'd rather see the smugglers euthanised, not the snakes.

I agree its not the snakes fault. But on the other hand most are bred here now. If they were to be licenced they should charge accordingly say $300 a year with a six month inspection and limit the amount held only a thought

I agree its not the snakes fault. But on the other hand most are bred here now. If they were to be licenced they should charge accordingly say $300 a year with a six month inspection and limit the amount held only a thought

Agree with inspection but maybe not that much cash each year. I think we are onto something :)

Ben

Corn snakes lol, I was offered a Rattle snake last month, you name it, if it has value someone has taken advantage of it

Rattle snake...:O how much did the guy want? Not that i want a rattle snake i want a chameleon :D

Ben

What exactly would that accomplish? Who do you think that has corns would put their hand up and say "Yes please, put me on the record for $300 a year, invade my privacy every 6 months, and limit my animals i'd love that!"

We have a fairly easy and inexpensive licensing system for natives and there are people don't even follow that.

They are here to stay, sometimes i think the way some keepers are treated by the wildlife authorities i feel like giving up my license and keeping the animals i dream of!

Rattle snake...:O how much did the guy want? Not that i want a rattle snake i want a chameleon :D

Ben
Lol, I wont say, but you can get Chameleon and Rattlers cheaper than alot of Aussie species.
I dont really care though, I only hear about it cos my brother in law tells me cos he thinks it impresses me, I have more than enough fun with our native species

I can't believe how many corn snakes are here! I had a lady the other day said she was hoping to be given a couple of corn snakes just so she can turn them in. i told her to get as many as she can and euthenase (sp?) the lot.
What is wrong with people?
As far as I am concerned, anyone that is intelligent enough to keep reptiles properly, should also be intelligent enough to knoe the dangers of introduced species (albeit accidental). eg Burmese in Everglades, etc

I think this lady should get a life instead of wait for corn snakes to turn them in . I am agaisnt exotics in australia and the destruction they cause, but atm i dont see any major issues with corn snakes for people to dedicate their lives to seizing them and having them killed...

If I found one it'd live to a ripe old age under my roof. However its the people who bring these things in/or breed them in the knowledge they are potentially sentencing the animal to death if caught who need their heads read! The potential of disease spread by an animal bred here would be nothing short impossible.

We're allowed exotic birds and other animals, but seem switched on about other exotics like reptiles. Not a bad thing to be honest. Whilst I'd save one, I don't think they belong here. Too many irresponsible keepers for my liking.

I think i have been hiding under a rock as i have never personally seen or heard of anyone keeping exotics near me. Definitely need to get out of the house more!

Haha how many people know you have reptiles? I've been offered corns a couple of times because people know I keep reps and assume I'd be interested. It's unfortunate but like with everything there are people who break the law. I don't really understand the appeal with them anyway. Our natives are so much cooler

I saw yet another cornsnake this week and i live in port!
Had a bloke ring me wanting to buy some weaner rats for his corn snake i said bring it around (thinking he was full of it) and be hold he gets out of his car with a red adult corn around his neck lol of course he got it from his uncle who breeds then in you guess it sydney...But yeah over the years ive been offered all sorts of things, i used to spend alot of time down sydney attending tafe and i was offered everything from corns to boas, chameleons to iguanas not to mention exotic inverts.
I personally dont encourage exotic keeping as i think or natives are crackers but i also dont judge people who do keep them as longs as the animals are well looked after.
These animals have been bred here for many many generations so i dont see disease as an issue and as for exotics running wild in the australian bush all ive heard is the odd isolated population of corns im yet to see a boa eating a roo in the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back