What is it with corn snakes????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with 'exotics' like cats, dog, or us for example. I just have a problem when people are bringing these animals into the country and posing a threat to our biosecurity. A snake is a snake, i won't keep exotics because i like to stick to the law. But frankly we all know they are here, just a shame we can't keep things under control and maintain the security of our natural environment at the same time.

It doesn't seem taboo anymore to have jags or exotic GTPs.... they have as much moral legitimacy and disease risk as corn snakes. Legality and pest potential is another story :D

Funny old world tho eh?

Simply put, humans are greedy. Majority of people couldn't care less about our native environment, long as they got a pretty little snake.

Everybody says that now but I guarantee if it was legalised everybody would get to the airport as fast as lightening to get them imported.

poor corn snakes, they get a bashing. Not that im pro corn snake but don't you think if a large carpet or venomous snake was introduced into the wild by an irresponsible keeper who couldn't look after it it would do more damage than a bright orange or white harmless snake. im thinking the first kookaburra that sees it will be like thank you very much.

you can go down to the local duck ponds in my area and catch red eared sliders there if you want one. I'm happy to just leave them be there, seeing as the place is also over run with carp. if i was to ever come across them in a river though, they would not be goin back in
Also there are a few reported colonies living in the nepean river.
I Have heard about snapping turtles being smuggled in the country to, i can only imagine the damage they would cause if they were to get in the wild.

The problem is theres thousands of them here,they bred at 2years + and can double clutch.So thats 30-40+ per female.Euthanasing a few here and there will hardly put a small dent in the population.FACE IT not much can be done about it.Remember EVERYONE isnt on a public reptile forum and the majority people out there dont realise you even need a licence to keep any reptiles.The authorities havent got the resource to go door knocking.The bottom line is the authorities need harsher penalties with the people who smuggle in ANY reptile and maybe those who get caught with them..There here now and will still be here in 10years time..

The problem is theres thousands of them here,they bred at 2years + and can double clutch.So thats 30-40+ per female.Euthanasing a few here and there will hardly put a small dent in the population.FACE IT not much can be done about it.Remember EVERYONE isnt on a public reptile forum and the majority people out there dont realise you even need a licence to keep any reptiles.The authorities havent got the resource to go door knocking.The bottom line is the authorities need harsher penalties with the people who smuggle in ANY reptile and maybe those who get caught with them..There here now and will still be here in 10years time..

I have heard people say before " I'm not going to recycle because what would my little bit do?"

you can go down to the local duck ponds in my area and catch red eared sliders there if you want one. I'm happy to just leave them be there, seeing as the place is also over run with carp. if i was to ever come across them in a river though, they would not be goin back in
Also there are a few reported colonies living in the nepean river.
I Have heard about snapping turtles being smuggled in the country to, i can only imagine the damage they would cause if they were to get in the wild.
Im pretty sure the Snapping turtle at ARP was handed in

people let them go because they are worried about getting caught if they did the same as we did with our natives an amnesty and put them on our licence so it wasn't to hard to get a licence for them people would do it their is already enough of them hear and their been her for many years a very long time and if they legalised it and did it properly and put tax on shipping and put them in to quarantine imo its better to put them through quarantine then having them shipped here illegally and as long *** they dont charge heaps of money it would work we have to be cheaper then the black market this is y im saiying put them on our licence and sort them out into class one and class two eg corn snakes and ball pythons and little boar's class one and reticulated pythons and big boar's class two and the same with the lizards and the same with venomous animals sort them out into the categories 1,2,3 thatz wat i think they should do and theirs already enough animals here hopefully we wouldent have to ship any in im only saying do the shipping so animals that aren't already he we can bring in legally other wise the black markets going to start shiping them animals in and it would also be a good way to get some of our captive lines out there so people stop catching them out the wild and shipping them out and dont put a no breading band on them other wise nobody will do it except the real reptile keepers we have to beat the black market and do it propeerly cheers cameron

sure they are great snakes but they are illegal here.
Should be treated the same as any other illegal object

Always with the corns... Nobody seems concerned about monkeys..Hedgehogs... Ocelots.. And all the other badies out there..

they should do the same licence thing i siad about the reptiles on the last page its the only way to stop it been done illegally and to do it safely

the snaping turtle at the reptile park was found in a sydney storn water drain. must of gotten to big for someone.

so what do people think of my idea i reckon its the only way to beat the black market and stop these beautiful reptiles getting killed

so what do people think of my idea i reckon its the only way to beat the black market and stop these beautiful reptiles getting killed

No, it wouldn't work. These people are already dodgy enough to go and find illegal animals, what makes you think they'll PAY to have their collection monitored, when they can continue on anonymously and freely?

No, it wouldn't work. These people are already dodgy enough to go and find illegal animals, what makes you think they'll PAY to have their collection monitored, when they can continue on anonymously and freely?
its worth a shot we have no other choice these beautiful reptiles dont deserve to be killed and think off the future for our younger generation reptile keepers getting into it we have to set an example for them y would they wont to pay for a licence and the money for a legal snake when u can bye or an albino corn snake for $25.00 or even have them given to u its this or people that bread snakes have to lower their price right down i reckon it would work if they put them on our licence that we already have and u dont have to paiy more money for u licence and they used the same rules they use now people siad it wouldn't work when they brang the licence out for our snakes and it worked and i now use can say i wazernt their but i have friends that where and i also have friends that did't do it and they regreted not doing it and now have their licence and are doing it properly

It would only encourage more reptile smuggling as if the gov let ppl keep these exotics then the dodgy ppl that are bringing them in would have found a market for them, and just bring more in. I don't like to see these innocent animals killed, but we have to do all we can to protect the beautiful native species we have, I think you will find that the ppl who have these animals have a huge ego as well.

people let them go because they are worried about getting caught if they did the same as we did with our natives an amnesty and put them on our licence so it wasn't to hard to get a licence for them people would do it their is already enough of them hear and their been her for many years a very long time and if they legalised it and did it properly and put tax on shipping and put them in to quarantine imo its better to put them through quarantine then having them shipped here illegally and as long *** they dont charge heaps of money it would work we have to be cheaper then the black market this is y im saiying put them on our licence and sort them out into class one and class two eg corn snakes and ball pythons and little boar's class one and reticulated pythons and big boar's class two and the same with the lizards and the same with venomous animals sort them out into the categories 1,2,3 thatz wat i think they should do and theirs already enough animals here hopefully we wouldent have to ship any in im only saying do the shipping so animals that aren't already he we can bring in legally other wise the black markets going to start shiping them animals in and it would also be a good way to get some of our captive lines out there so people stop catching them out the wild and shipping them out and dont put a no breading band on them other wise nobody will do it except the real reptile keepers we have to beat the black market and do it propeerly cheers cameron

its worth a shot we have no other choice these beautiful reptiles dont deserve to be killed and think off the future for our younger generation reptile keepers getting into it we have to set an example for them y would they wont to pay for a licence and the money for a legal snake when u can bye or an albino corn snake for $25.00 or even have them given to u its this or people that bread snakes have to lower their price right down i reckon it would work if they put them on our licence that we already have and u dont have to paiy more money for u licence and they used the same rules they use now people siad it wouldn't work when they brang the licence out for our snakes and it worked and i now use can say i wazernt their but i have friends that where and i also have friends that did't do it and they regreted not doing it and now have their licence and are doing it properly

OK I give up, I know it's bad form to criticise and all that but but how about chucking in at least a couple of punctuations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back