Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuddly_pony

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I recently posted a thread about keeping snakes and having cats and the overall majority was that I could!!
So now to decide which snake!!!
I am a beginner at this and have never owned a snake I am 14yo and am very responsible having a Horse two cats and two budgies all welll looked after
I dont much care what it looks like I just love snakes as they are such fascinating creatures!!! I just want something that has a great temperment and wont grow two big (big being over a meter) and a snake that can cope being handled at least once a day eventually
So whats your ideas also can you post it like this?
Snake:
Size:
Temperment:
Enclosure:
Other notes like lifespan ect:
:):)

I believe the only pythons you will find that stay that small are Antaresia. The 3 most common are Spotted, Childrens and Stimpsons Pythons.
Size: 3-4 foot on average
Temperment: Varies
Enclosure: 2 or 3 foot once an adult.

When i thought about getting my first i just googled things until my fingers hurt. Have a look into spotted, childrens, or stimsons.
About 1 to 1.5 m.
Usually a good temperament
Enclosure to begin would be a plastic enclosure (click clack)

yeah any three of your antaresia family. i personally love the look of spotteds or stimsons as they hold their patterns well and stimsons are apparently known to be pretty friendly snakes (though i don't own one as of yet)
but my two spotteds are really great snakes and don't bite ever.
and when full grown your enclosure will just need to be about two foot long, two foot high and 45cm deep? something along those lines. not overly huge

definitely a spotted! i just had my two out and fell in love with them all over again!!! i haven't had any snakes out to play with in a while and every time i get them out i realise just how much i love them!
if you get a little 6 or 7 month old spotted you will love it to bits! they are so tiny and sweet!!!!

lol listen to me go on and on. heres a pic so you can see for yourself.... her name is luna and she is just over 8 months old.

Attachments

• Luna 070.jpg
    Luna 070.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 37
If weren't worry about size i would also recommended a bredli

corn snake are great snakes or a ball python.

Nooooo!
When I was originally doing research I found the corn snake- and it wasn't until I found this forum that someone told me they were illegal in Australia! Grrr...

Anywayz.... CuddlePony, you sound like me. I'm also 14 and on the search for a first snake. All that indecision for your fist snake... I've been trying to settle on one to get since June! :lol:
I think that I've settled on getting the spotted- everyone just keeps saying how great they are as a firsty. I'm still not 100%, but I'm pretty sure. They just sound so nice!

Personally, I don't think Antaresia make good first snakes if they have been purchased as hatchlings, as they can be really picky feeders if they are not set up 100% correctly, and even if they have been can still be near impossible feeders, Spotted's arn't as bad a feeder as some Stims and Childrens, but the flip side of that is that they can be really bitey little buggers for the first 12 - 24 months which often scares new snake owners off handling or enjoying their first snake. If you can find an advanced yearling or similar that has been feeding great you should have no problems at all... I personally call Ants, ideal second snakes, I little experience goes along way with these guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back