1 1/2 Year Old Albino Bearded Dragon Pair

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo

Reaction score
North West Bearded Dragons - Pogona Mitchelli

Attachments

• AlbPair.jpg
    AlbPair.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 2,567
Hey Gonzo, they are great, can I ask a serious question though as I have never owned a Beardie....how do you supply them with UV lighting to help prevent MBD when they are albino? Is it supplements only or what?
Cheers mate, just something I have always wondered about! :)

hmm so the only real visual difference is the eyes to some of the colour morphs now days anyway

hmm so the only real visual difference is the eyes to some of the colour morphs now days anyway

true, but think of the possibilities, this is more than likely just scratching the surface

p.s.: that was quick, didn't think we'd see these so soon esp. with someone in another thread asking abt bearded dragon morphs and their availability (amongst others)

Scleropages - They aren't feeding independently. They have the same issues as all the previous ones, so assist feeding is necessary.
Southside Morelia - All their UV comes from natural sunlight. They are basking in it in the picture provided. The only supplement provided is calcium.

Southside Morelia - All their UV comes from natural sunlight. They are basking in it in the picture provided. The only supplement provided is calcium.
I'll PM as i'm really interested in this.
cheers mate....

they look great gonzo first time ive seen them pitty there not eating on there own yet good luck with them in the future is there any other coulors available
cheers mick

Reptile-ranch - If you're asking if they come in colours like other bearded dragons, then yes.

Attachments

• 011109male.jpg
    011109male.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 682
Hopefully u can get them eating by themselves just out of curiosity how much do albino bubs go for these days?

Scleropages - They aren't feeding independently. They have the same issues as all the previous ones, so assist feeding is necessary.

Catch 22 an albino isn't born blind just born without pigment which protects the retina. UV then destroys the retina through the absence of pigment & the sight goes with it. Beardies need UV so there lies the catch....... however I have heard anecdotal stories of Beardies been kept on supplements only which could prevent this.

The same goes for Albino Blueys...... I have noticed blindness creep up on them with age (normally by 2 years of age)..... Beardies I imagine would lose it sooner due to their increased UV requirements.

Albino's as a general rule are born with poor vision due to the lack of melanin, which is essential for the various parts of the visual system to develop properly. It isn't due to UV damage although that may add to the problem. In some forms of albinism vision will actually improve with age, although that would be unlikely with these presumably T- albs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Albino's as a general rule are born with poor vision due to the lack of melanin, which is essential for the various parts of the visual system to develop properly. It isn't due to UV damage although that may add to the problem. In some forms of albinism vision will actually improve with age, although that would be unlikely with these presumably T- albs.

Sunlight definetely destroys what vision they have at birth as animals kept inside still retain their limited vision....... I have watched it & seen it. Not wishing to contradict just based on my observation of keeping them outside & inside.

I have also photographed young albinos which flinch at the flash of a camera...... whereas any of my aged animals literally don't bat an eyelid to the intensity of a camera flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back