1 more heating Q 4 BHP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noongato

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, got a new heatmat. Without a thermostat it get to 40C max in a heated room. (Ive been running it all week with the fancy probe thermometers)
What temp should i set the thermostat to for 6mnth BHP?
Also, what sortof thing could i put on top of it to lower the surface temp, newspaper? Turf? Without blocking heat in to create a fire.
Its 14W, 28 x 28cm

Ok, got a new heatmat. Without a thermostat it get to 40C max in a heated room. (Ive been running it all week with the fancy probe thermometers)
What temp should i set the thermostat to for 6mnth BHP?
Also, what sortof thing could i put on top of it to lower the surface temp, newspaper? Turf? Without blocking heat in to create a fire.
Its 14W, 28 x 28cm

idk wat temps u should have but i tile would do nice it holds heat but not all of the heat thats wat i use under a click clack

Oh, he is in a proper enclosure with hard wooden base and fixed legs, so i cant put it under the whole enclosure. So i cant do the click clack ideas.
At the moment he is on half newspaper and turf on the warm side.
He has a very small heatmat now, but its so pathetic its only coming up to 25C most times, thats why i have upgraded. But this new one is hitting 40s and i know thats too hot, but im not entirely sure what ideal temp is.

a 14 watt heat matt will generally raise the temperature about 10c degrees above the ambient temperature and so would normally be ok without a thermostat. It seems your room must be heated to about 30c which should not need a heat matt to increase the temp further. Ceramic tiles are good to sandwich the heatmat as they dont conduct electricity orburn. They will providea good heat bank to even out changes in temperature.

Thanks Wokka. The heatmat is in the loungeroom with me, and im pretty warm right now, so yeah.
Dagger the BHP is in my bedroom where there is no other heating. So i will have to re-test in there.
I will have to pick up a tile sometime tomorrow. Its been a few weeks since ive fed Dags as ive been worried about the temp thing. He hasnt been very active so i think he might be (brumating?)
Either way i want to get this sorted ASAP, as i miss him, (besides the check-ups) hahahaha

I doubt he will bruminate at 40c. Cooking more likely. Over about 34c for more than a few hours is really dangerous.If you want to use a thermostat dont put the probe on the heatmat. Put it say 10mm above, say on the tile where the temp should be more consistant.

No, no. The one he has now is like a tiny 7 watt or something. Its getting to 25C - So he may be brumating I wonder, seems too cold.
This new one in the loungeroom is getting to the 40s. I wont put it in his enclosure until i suss it out completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back