1 Year Old Stimson Python Not Eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princess_tiarna

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have owned a young Stimson python (less than a year old) for a little over 4 weeks and during this time, I have not been able to get her to eat. I am aware that snakes can go months without eating, but I am unsure why she is not taking food.

The day before I got her, she did have a big feed (3 pinkie mice I believe) so I have been thinking that she just isn't hungry?

I have made sure that the temperature inside her enclosure is perfect, she has access to fresh water, the humidity levels are ok and she has places to hide within her cage. She seems really happy, as she has been very active and very placid when I handle her, although I try not to handle her as much as possible. She also hasn't lost any weight, in fact it looks as though she might have gotten bigger/longer.

I have spoken with the breeder I bought her from and she suggested that she may be going into shed. What are the signs of this about to occur?

I also thought that perhaps the food I am trying to give her is too big? I have tried on three occasions to feed her 1 hopper mouse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, because I am starting to get a little worried about my girl.

I have made sure that the temperature inside her enclosure is perfect,
How are you measuring them to be perfect? And what are the temps, What kind of heating etc

you might find fuzzy mice better if she was on pinkie mice from previous breeder

I am using a thermostat/hydrostat and an infrared temperature gun. I am getting temperatures between 33 and 36 at warm end and 26 - 29 at cool end

How are you measuring them to be perfect? And what are the temps, What kind of heating etc

you might find fuzzy mice better if she was on pinkie mice from previous breeder
So are you suggesting that the food I am giving her (hopper mouse) is too large? One other thing, on the three occasions I have tried to feed her, it is very clear that she is interested in the food (she has even touched noses with the mouse one time), so she knows the food is there.

I am using a thermostat/hydrostat and an infrared temperature gun. I am getting temperatures between 33 and 36 at warm end and 26 - 29 at cool end
I am using a heat cord

So are you suggesting that the food I am giving her (hopper mouse) is too large? One other thing, on the three occasions I have tried to feed her, it is very clear that she is interested in the food (she has even touched noses with the mouse one time), so she knows the food is there.
If she’s showing interest (coming up and smelling food) and not taking it, I would take it she’s not hungry and that’s fine!

I have spoken with the breeder I bought her from and she suggested that she may be going into shed. What are the signs of this about to occur?
For my snake, it's usually something like:
Week one - he doesn't poop after eating. Starts to hide more.
Week two- barely moves. Refuses food.
Week three - skin looking dry. Barely moves. Might see a few crackles on his tummy. Sometimes he goes a little blushed. Refuses food.
Week four - he's like an old man...cataracts (cloudy eyes), jumpy (startles), doesn't want to leave his bed. Not happy. Skin looking itchy and whiteish. Refuses food.
Then he'll strip it off in 30-60mins (if you're lucky enough to catch him!), poop, and all will be well with the world again. He'll eat again now.

There are lots of threads on this. Stimmies are know for going off food. Don't panic!

Back