1080 Kills NZ Natives.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheMan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I hate this stuff, and saw an article on the NZ Herald website a few days ago(which I cant find the link for sorry) that 1. how crap 1080 is and 2. What idiots D.O.C (Department Of Conservation) are.

They monitored 11 Kea's through the Southern Alps somewhere (South Island) and did a 1080 air drop via helicopter, and 9 of the 11 Kea's were killed by the 1080, which is suppose to be getting rid of pests that are a threat to our native animals :shock:
Yet they continue to use it....
I could go on about more crap that D.O.C stuff up but the threads about 180 not them lol.
By the way, if you don't know, a kea is a NZ native bird, goolge it.

I am with you on this i hate this stuff with a passion!!!

A mate of mine whilst up in NT was a Ranger. Their was a study done on the affects of 1080 on Australian Wildlife and it wasnt good for the native animals.
Predominately one feed wont kill most native fauna, however multiple feeds will.
Also multiple feeds of animals that have died as of 1080 can also kill natives animals.
The study was kept inhouse and not released to the public.

"Yes but what else can be done" I hear people cry
Whilst 1080 is accepted by the majority of Australians as OK, little research will be done for a better, healthier alternative.

Have seen the effects of 1080 on a metes dog and its one of the most horrible things i have ever seen.(we were told there was none on the place)

Have you seen the damages foxes can do Native herps, do YOU have another method of controling feral carnivours im interested.

I understand this and i agree that foxes need to be controlled cheaply. But surley there is a more humane way that cant be eaten by non target speices. What are all these gov agencies getting paid so much to develope new things doing?

I'm sorry Dan, fellow kiwi... But I can not agree with the idea that 1080 is crap and DOC are idiots - there's two sides to this story...

Admitidely there's some losses - that goes without saying... But as someone suggested for Aussie - Have you seen the damage foxes, dogs, goats etc have done...

A very high percentage of 1080 deaths are introduced species including possums, deer etc...

I find it bewildering that people here are anti 1080 on the basis it kills indiscriminatley yet they'll eat pesticide ridden corn and rice...

1080 - when used correctly, is by far the most effective control for the introduced fauna into NZ - and until you find a better more effective (and cost effective) way there's no short term answer. And beleive me, it's been researched to the HILT!

I used to work in a research department of CSIRO at Lincoln, right next door to the 1080 people... From what I understood at the time (and I didn't delve deep) it was working with near 100% success - and in conjunction with other physical deterants - things like possums have been removed from 100s of hectares of native bushland and rain forest!

I say - before you judge the acts of one drop, read the research to the other 40000 drops and see the benefits.

The birds that were lost is a terrible loss. But I can bet your bottom dollar that those birds in the area are probably flourishing because of this and those 9 birds were just an unfortunate circumstance.

Now - on saying all this, I hope to the world that I haven't just been fed government propagander to believe that 1080 is the best.... I seriously hope it is!

Gunns(a tasmainian logging company) use 1080 after they have cleared trees and planted pine trees. Im told you can hear the animals scream.

That is a good point slim6y
Although you can argue whether its good or not that it kills the deer, me being a keen hunter:)

And I have some seen some good signs of 1080, for example, we went hunting on a farm for pigs and deer, asked the owner about going spotlighting for Possums, and he said that there is no point as they are all completely gone, and that before they dropped 1080 on his farm, he shot 22 possums in 1 tree one night.
plus he used to see a lot of deer on his farm which also reduced at the same time as the possums.

If 1080 is used in the correct way it is very effective, and can see a need for it here with the foxes.
Was referring to DOC being idiots from a few recent stories I have herd which is actually a bit stupid of me as its more individuals fault, than DOC in general. For example, a DOC worker shot a Takahe instead of Pukeko (Swamp Turkey I think you call them here?)

Plus the media chose what they want to tell the public so they could hide the good facts, but im judging 1080 on things I have herd and so far there not many so if you have some good one people do share!
Thanks.

For all of you whinging about how inhumane 1080 is maybe you should take a trip out west and visit a few farms that have their stock attacked by wild dogs. Once you see a few sheep with their hamstrings torn out or their intestines hanging from their stomach or with their dead lambs laying at their feet you might start to understand. Or maybe if you spoke to a few farmers who have to get up in the morning and destroy their injured stock, destroy their livelihood, you might start to understand the stress feral animals put on working families. Once you see a bit of reality you might start to understand the importance of 1080 and how important the control of feral animals is to farming communities, the same people who produce the food that goes on your table every night, or produce the wool that makes the clothes you wear!

For those of you that say there is no research or development into new products, maybe you should do some research. There is constantly new products being developed and improvements to 1080 products and how they are delivered. A soon to be released pig-specific 1080 bait, or the ongoing development and trial of the M44 cyanide ejector for the control of wild dogs and foxes, just to name a couple.

And for those of you whinging about the effects on non-target animals. If used correctly and according to the regulations the effects on non-target animals is minimal. And as mentioned above ongoing trials and development of products is improving this even more. What's better, losing the odd native to 1080 or having whole species become extinct as a result of fox predation?

There are many good stories about the recovery of species and native populations as result of using 1080 to control feral animals. Again, do some research!!

Yeah, 1080 isn't perfect, but our native animals and farming communities would be in a whole lot more trouble without it!!

Using 1080 in conjunction with shooting and trapping has decreased the numbers of fox in some areas and the wild life is coming back to them..
You mostly seem to get the younger animals when you shoot them as the older ones are just that little bit more wiley.
Older animals are hardly ever found in the soft leg traps that are used by the dept.

I would really like to see 1080 banned & replaced with something less horrific. Death by 1080 is an ugly death, horrifying in fact, & xander is correct about the screaming. I had a much loved G Shepherd who was baited with 1080. It is still vividly burnt into my memory. Her screams will stay with me my entire life! There must be a better way, a more humane method of poison [ ?? a contradiction in terms, I know ]. I know that ferals must be controlled but 1080 is NOT, imo, the way to do it.

I would really like to see 1080 banned & replaced with something less horrific. Death by 1080 is an ugly death, horrifying in fact, & xander is correct about the screaming. I had a much loved G Shepherd who was baited with 1080. It is still vividly burnt into my memory. Her screams will stay with me my entire life! There must be a better way, a more humane method of poison [ ?? a contradiction in terms, I know ]. I know that ferals must be controlled but 1080 is NOT, imo, the way to do it.

Here Here!
I personally would like to see a total move away from 1080 use.
Just because humans put these feral animals here in Australia, does not give us some right to kill them with no regard to the animals suffering.
They did not choose to be here.
We chose for them and now we make them suffer a horrific death by 1080.
I totally empathise with local fauna being killed by these feral animals humans introduced and something MUST be done to protect them.
I would like to see much more research done into new, more 'humane' ( thats so ironic that word) ways of eradicting these feral animals.
Idealy as much research as if 1080 was not existant....then some real research would be going on...rather then this...well we have 1080...lets just make it better..........:rolleyes:

But this whole discussion of mine can be eradicated by using argumnets with $/greed/ignorance as their focal points.

Or, heres a pearler used for most wars against everything: "to reduce the suffering we must create more suffering".........:rolleyes:...Ummmmmm...Im no mathmatician.........but doesnt that just create more suffering?:rolleyes:

If you wouldnt use 1080 to kill your pet as of humane reasons, why would you use it to kill a wild animal?

1080 is used in Australia because several natives are immune to mono-fluroacetate - where none of the ferals are.

In NZ, they were lucky and got a possum that was NOT immune to 1080, so they, as a target species, are effectively killed.

The 1080 resistant natives of Australia are just perfect for the use of 1080.

it should be standard that the use of 1080 by farmers or rangers let anyone that is in the area of a bait drop ,know ,so as to contain their domestic dogs/cats ,,,,in reality your animals shouldnt be off your property, and if it was a criminal poison act well you cant blame the farmers or rangers for that .......its the better of two evils ,,,rabbits got mixy ,wasnt nice seeing them go through that, but once again it was needed......if we had tough laws and more information as we do now then ferel introduction wouldnt have happened,but alas it has. we have to deal with it in a way that seems to work at the moment ,its not fool proof. its certainly got its hiccups, but its the best of at the moment.. any eradication is still gonna be awful on the ferel animals and sacrifices are and still will be made by our natives..........

1080 is used in Australia because several natives are immune to mono-fluroacetate - where none of the ferals are.

In NZ, they were lucky and got a possum that was NOT immune to 1080, so they, as a target species, are effectively killed.

The 1080 resistant natives of Australia are just perfect for the use of 1080.
To the best of my knowledge the plants that contain mono-fluroacetate are like a desert pea thats only found in NT, WA and small pockets of central QLD.
You'd have to ask how a native east of the great divide would have immunity to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back