2 Headed Turtle Hatched Last Night!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
most reptile veterinarians have 'dental x-ray machines' they will do such a small area. such as my dragons toe.

IMO if you have a sick, injured or dying animal, you take it to the vet. im sorry if my comment sounded rude, and i understand and respect your experience and work. im just trying to offer help and ideas in helping this 'special' individual...

IMO a vet check will be benificial as they can check the function and possible somplications. its their job to do so. but i trust the animal is in good hands with such an experienced keeper. congrats, and i hope all goes well.

Im with expansa1 it would just be money down the loo getting the xrays done and such as t more than likely wont survive due to shared organs or malformed ones etc etc. BUt best of luck

Im with expansa1 it would just be money down the loo getting the xrays done and such as t more than likely wont survive due to shared organs or malformed ones etc etc. BUt best of luck

my only point is, i would personally rather fork the money for my animals, to try and save it. be it two headed or not. but by all means its up to the owner to decide the price, and willingness to vet test etc. the likelyness and possible 'help' to keep this little guy going.

i only posted as an option, to try save him, it complications are or would arrise. i didnt mean to be rude, or suggest your not caring properly, your very well experienced, these are just my opinions and perspective on the matter.. :D

its not showing obviouse signs of difficultly is it? if it were i would like to see it at a vet. AGAIN. its your choice, your turtle, and your animal altogether. just voicing an opinion..

;D not here to stir, just help and offer advice and opinion. got any photo's of it swimming around? or a vid? :D :D:D:D:D:D

its a common 'rarity' that people make profit off selling them as 'two headed'. some breeders, breed for this trait and make a buisness,

Most unlikely. Really I cannot see how one could succesfully breed for such a trait. You would of course need a sexually mature 2 headed male and a sexually mature 2 headed female, then you would need them to mate succesfully and produce fertile eggs! Even then the hatchlings may only have 1 head.
Allan

Really I cannot see how one could succesfully breed for such a trait. You would of course need a sexually mature 2 headed male and a sexually mature 2 headed female (most unlikely), then you would need them to mate succesfully and produce fertile eggs!
Allan

someone in this thread posted a link to a US site that seemed to pump out a few each year, along with 'no eyes' from 'no eyed' parents.. simply breeding the deformed. its possible and they;re doing it... whats next? 'nubb turtles'

Don't ya just love it!!
Good luck to you and your turtle:)

I highly doubt the trait could be inherited, much more likely it was just a developmental issue.

someone in this thread posted a link to a US site that seemed to pump out a few each year, along with 'no eyes' from 'no eyed' parents.. simply breeding the deformed. its possible and they;re doing it... whats next? 'nubb turtles'

Two headed'ness' is not a genetic trait but is when two embryo's located in the one egg join at an early stage of the egg's development. You can't actually selectively breed for 2 headedness and they are considered rare in the wild or captivity. The reason that there are numbers in the USA is because so many thousands of red eared sliders are being bred by thousands upon thousands of breeders and like humans, this very ocassionally occurs.

poor lil guys...Hope they make it..

So Expansa what's your highest offer you've gotten so far???

Ben

awww they are awesome, i really hope they survive too, so sweet:)
please tell us how they are going, dont sell them!!! its your little gift!

it's cute, good luck with it!
imo it is wrong to breed animals with a deformaty for a deformaty, but it is the us.......
: )

Two headed'ness' is not a genetic trait but is when two embryo's located in the one egg join at an early stage of the egg's development. You can't actually selectively breed for 2 headedness and they are considered rare in the wild or captivity. The reason that there are numbers in the USA is because so many thousands of red eared sliders are being bred by thousands upon thousands of breeders and like humans, this very ocassionally occurs.

i thought it was when in the early stages of development when 2 embryo's split, normally making twins this is where the separation isnt complete?

It's possible that those sliders that produce freaks have messed up genetics.

Craig, good stuff with him. He is very interesting, I hope to be able to see him soon enough.

Did you get my last e-mail?

Kane

It's possible that those sliders that produce freaks have messed up genetics.

Craig, good stuff with him. He is very interesting, I hope to be able to see him soon enough.

Did you get my last e-mail?

Kane

Hi Kane,
I didn't get an email but Gab may have.

i thought it was when in the early stages of development when 2 embryo's split, normally making twins this is where the separation isnt complete?

There are two theories on why such things occur.

One being that the embryo's don't seperate fully therefore remaining partially joined as you have said hornet, and the other being that the embryo's split fully but then as the cells are developing in close proximity can cause them to push back into each other and rejoin as Craig has stated and continue to grow joined.

I don't believe either theory has been proven yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back