$26 DIY fake brick wall

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shell477

Reaction score
So needed a way to make a cheap fake brick wall that didnt take much effort because I am lazy :)

After looking around, this is what I did.

1. Go to Bunnings, buy Vinyl Tiles in brick pattern. $1.30ea, I bought 11 but only needed 8 for a 1200mm x 650mm board.
1.jpg

2. I used a Orbitral Sander to buff away most of the shinyness of the tiles to make it look more brick like. TIP: Do this before cutting tiles up. Will save lots of time.
2.jpg

3. Mark out size bricks you want. I did 8 per sheet and liked the size.
3.jpg

4. Cut out bricks.
4.jpg

5. Round corners of 'bricks' and if you want, put little nicks and indents randomly into some bricks as bricks arent perfect and can be chipped.
5.jpg

6. Go to Clark Rubber and buy Polystyrene foam. I got two sheets at about $7.50 a sheet.

7. Lay your bricks out and when happy, stick down.
6.jpg
7.jpg

8. I used turps and VERY LIGHTLY brushed some down between the bricks (where it would be 'mortar') and rubbed/scratched out some foam to give depth between the bricks.

9. Choose mortar color and paint between bricks :) Used non toxic, acrylic paint.
Haven't got a picture for this far.

Will post more up when its done and tank is set up :)

Also I put the foam onto a cheap wooden backing board (ply) for strength.

This cost me about $26 all up as I already had the paint and ply.
What do you think?

well i have some nice green and red/brown shrubbery to put up against it and i think it looks nice. tank is still being built so wont have a pic for a few weeks

Wow, nice job, and cheap too! :)

Would also look good on the outside of an enclosure for something different.

Do the tiles have a sticky backing or what did you use to stick them to the foam?

Wow, nice job, and cheap too! :)

Would also look good on the outside of an enclosure for something different.

could make small panels to cover the sides of the enclosure and stand and the front of the stand

Good job, It will be good to see it in the tank, with all the trimmings.
Its amazing walking around bunnings, there seems to be so many things that can be used in an enclosure if you put your thinking hat on.

Pssstt ...KingSirloin..... these have the sticky backing cos you can see the paper in the first pic :lol:

you are right jaxrtfm, they are peel and stick. which just made the job THAT much easier :)

Here are some pics of after I did the 'mortar'. Needs a second coat though.

IMG_3389.jpgIMG_3390.jpgIMG_3391.jpg

Hey everyone

Here is the final update on how the wall looks in the enclosure.
Might I add that my amazing hubby made the whole enclosure from scratch too!

What do you think? :)

Shell

IMG_3520.jpgIMG_3519.jpg

thanks :) the far right one will have his water bowl in it, its water proof in the bottom coz he likes to make a mess :)

Wow very very nice enclosure, I wish I had the time/money to do something like this

great enclosure Shell, i'm impressed. Interesting using the pebbles as a substrate, let us know how it goes long term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back