4 foot tank for ackie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanG

Reaction score
hey guys not long ago i bought a 4 foot rep tank which i was sure i was going to get a beardie for when my lisence arrives.
now ive seen a red ackie, and i am very interested in them. Could i keep one in an 4 foot enclosure?
also can u handle them?
cheers, jordan

Yes that size will be fine. Ackies are generally not good handlers but are far more active an interesting to observe than Beardies.

As long as your pair of ackies get on well a 4x2x2 would be OK as a minimum, the bigger the better though. Ackies can be very aggresive so it's better for your enclosure to be sufficiently large to have multiple basking spots and stacks if possible, this will ensure they can get away from each other if things get too rough.

Ackies have been known to seriously injure and even kill each other so the settup needs some thought. Luckily, I seem to have a pair that get on great.

about 15-20 cm's deep of a non collapsible mixture of sand and dirt. because they like to dig.

Last edited:
I dont think you need to have the whole tank in deep sand. If you include a sand box filled with moist sand it will be fine.

The lizards wont really care about the dimensions of the tank, what they will care about is usable space. If you have a 10 ft tank but all it has is a water bowl and a heat lamp, it will be much less appealing than a complex four foot tank with lots of hiding places etc. Have a look at what people have done for small monitor enclosures a stack of some sort is one of the best things for them.

the whole tank should be covered with Diggable sand because they like it, and it's more like there natural environment .

and i agree with you on your second point tho:)

the whole tank should be covered with Diggable sand because they like it, and it's more like there natural environment .

It's not necessary that the whole enclosure has sand which they are able to burrow in. They will dig if given the chance, but a shallow substrate allowing them the stimulatiion of digging, without creating burrows is perfectly fine. Grimbenny is on the money.
And to answer the question, as others have said, the bigger the better for any Monitors. 4x2x2 will suffice for a pair, as a minimum, and be prepared that they may not get along so a back-up enclosure needs to be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back