55ltr starmaid ventilation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lachlano2000

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at prepping a 55ltr starmaid tub for my jungle python and was curious as to what only placing air holes on the cool side of tub would achieve. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to this? It just popped into my head while trying to think of how to try and create a half decent temp gradient. Will only be using a 16watt heatmat to heat it.

Thanks in advance, Lachlan

Most people that only place ventilation holes high up on the cool end is because this allows the hot air to escape through the top of the cool end. This keep the cool end cool and traps the hot air in the hot end to give a gradient of hot and cold. Hope that makes sense.

Yep makes sense and pretty much achieves exactly what I was trying to do. Thanks for the info

I would imagine you will have limited air flow with that setup

For my current quarantine tub (55ltr) that houses my YFWS I have ventilation holes throughout the lid, both hot and cold side. I guess it just depends on how spaced out your holes are and how warm the ambient room temp is. Where I live the ambient temps are pretty warm so I don't feel the need to 'trap' the hot air.

My ambient room temps can get quote cool at the moment but I am about to move to a slightly warmer and smaller place where the snakes will be in a much smaller room. I have the holes in the tub itself and currently only have 6 holes on each side of the warm end(snake isn't in there yet). Will see what kind of temps I get as he will have some branches to hang off in there aswell hopefully on the warm and cool end so he should be able to thermo regulate himself with ease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back