6mm Glass Doors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used perspex on my large enclosure. The lighter weight of perspex has allowed me to have a hinged door (4ft x 3ft) which would be much harder to do with glass. Being able to drill and screw perspex helps to keep the door square too. I got quotes on glass vs perspex when i made the enclosure, and perspex worked out cheaper also. As Simon says, the major downside is the scratches if you're not carefull.

I must be thinking of Polycarbonate, which scratches also, really easily - even just wiping it. I've found that expensive - sorry :oops: I'd be surprised if there wasn't a marginal gain in heat retention over glass though, but thats only my guess! I'd have to do some investigative work to back that up! Anyone know for sure?

i have the tracks for sliding glass doors......can i change to perspex?
is ther a perspex 5-6mm thick and clear like glass?
is it easier to clean than glass?
(sorry have not had much exp. with perspex)

Stick with glass Bry, perspex is good for people with heaps and heaps of enclosures as it eventually isnt the best display material, glass is easy to clean and scratch resistant (within reason).

And after a while with the prolonged heat, perspex tends to warp.

But if you really want to, you can use the tracks you have already.

One problem using perspex in sliding door track is that it bends. A snake or lizard can squeeze through the gaps. A large python could exert enough pressure to pop the perspex out of the track

Not my perspex buddy boy. 10-12 mm thick, UV rated, flame polished edges. Still if it wasnt free I would use glass.

Still if it wasnt free I would use glass.

How did you get it for free lol?
And where do you get tracks for 10-12 mm perspex?

I'm with sherman, I have 4mm glass on all my enclosures and have never had a snake look like breaking it. I keep some 12ft olives behind it without any problems.

It is not just the thickness of the glass that is the factor. The size comes into it also. For example 3mm glass is quite suitable for most household windows but would not last at all long the size of a shop front window.

A set of enclosures I had made years ago came with 3mm glass. All 8 panes have survived over 5 years without problems.

I have moved away from sliding glass and am starting to used framed glass with hinges. The substrate does not get stuck in the tracks. You can tell when the door is not shut properly. Because the glass is securely held it does not need to be as thick.

I have never used glass more than 4mm thick when building an enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back