A BHP question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
I have resarched on and off this forum in regards to BHP sizes.

I know they get big and it seems unanimous that the QLD variety are the biggest. However, I have read on some sites the WA are just as big and the NT are smaller and other sites saying the opposite.

I know that within a locale it can vary but I was wanting a general rule of thumb explaining which are the biggest to smallest.

My understanding is that the pilbara localities are the smaller ones getting to just over 2m. The other locales are similar sizes with the QLD getting the biggest.

They can get massive. Most of the maximum size info I see is waaay under the size they can attain. I narrowly avoided driving over one north of the Tanami that was full width of the road. Around 5 meters. I ended up bogged so didn't get a pic.

The cattlemen from Kalkaringi swear an 18 footer held up an entire herd they were droving in the 50s. They shot it of course. And the old aboriginal ladies there have some places they go to collect monster specimens for eating. Apparently they have some excellent health benefits.

How big do qld ones get? I'm planning on buying a yearling and am under the impression it will grow to about 2.5m...

Wow, 5 metre long BHP's! I'd love to see a specimen that big.
It's unfortunate that the reported ~5.5 metre specimen was killed. That and the specimen that you found would have to be record breakers surely.

I have never kept BHP's but i use to haul a Roadtrain in the mid 80's from Kunnanurra to Fitzroy Crossing and return every week and as SteveNT has said i have seen a heap of big 1's in excess of 4m and i would estimate close to 5m warming themselves on the side of the road or across the road, and i am sad to say i ran a few over that felt like speed bumps when i went over them (before the haters start throwing rocks at me let me say when you come over a rise pulling 3 trailers weighing 100 tonne + and you see a big Python across the road it is almost impossible to stop) anyway the 1's i seen up there were pretty damn large, but that was the mid 80's so don't know what they are like up there now. :) ................................................Ron

I love bhps. I know they can get huge biggest I have seen in the wild was a good 2.5m long. And that was in qld

Last edited by a moderator:
How big do qld ones get? I'm planning on buying a yearling and am under the impression it will grow to about 2.5m...

I went and sussed out the yearling a couple of days ago. He was lovely but I'm expecting him to grow to 2.5m(ish)... Am I underestimating this? I don't want to buy something I'm not prepared for...

I went and sussed out the yearling a couple of days ago. He was lovely but I'm expecting him to grow to 2.5m(ish)... Am I underestimating this? I don't want to buy something I'm not prepared for...

I would say 2.5m minimum. Expect up to 3m when they are older. Remember snakes live 20 years + in captivity all going well and never completely stop growing.

Don't worry Lawra, they only reach masive size after many many years. You start with a stripey worm and then you age together. I always get hatchies just for that reason.

Last edited:
Don't worry Lara, they only reach masive size after many many years. You start with a stripey worm and then you age together. I always get hatchies just for that reason.

Ok cool :) my main worry is that I won't have room for him. Enclosure sizes are 1500x500x500 with climbing holes through to the ones above that can be blocked off if necessary (under construction) and I want to have enough space for him to move around.

Sounds good! Dont forget to post pics :)

Remember they are natural burrowers (dont mind a climb or a swim though.)

That Enclosure size will be fine for years to come, at full grown it will need a much larger one, but like people have said, you will grown and learn as time goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back