a couple of beardy questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReptileben

Reaction score
Palmerston, Northern Territory, Australia
straya 002.jpgjust wondering if my beardy is overweight it will only eat bugs I have been told to not give it bugs and just offer salad and veggies for a few weeks and aparently it will just choose to eat the veggies is this true and lastly is coir peat an ok substaite for beardies?

i would let it go a few days with out food and offer only frruit/ veg. try bok choi, cut up apple, shreded carrot ect most beardies will eat fruit and veg wen they are hungry and there is nothing else. a beardies diet should be 80% fruit/ veg and 20% insect or defrosted pinkie or fuzzy mouse or rat. so i would encourage him to eat fruit/ veg as he needs it to live a healthy life. also unless you gut load the insects they are pretty much just a shell with very little nutritional value.

that pic isn't very good to tell if he is over weight or not but he looks ok. as beardies do flatten themselves out so hard to tell.

i prefer sand with my beardies, not to sure if coir peat might be a risk of being swallowed with food as beardies tend to be guts wen food is inlvolved and will swollow anything thats gets caught up with their food.

though i use coir peat with my water dragons and blueys and never had a problem.

Last edited:
IMO yes it is overweight. I would only offer veg for a while, too much fruit can cause periodontal disease. I find using a base of butternut pumpkin works for fussy eaters. They also seem to love hibiscus flowers. Both are sweet without the sugar content of fruit. You can also try mixing some silkworms, earthworms or mealworms into the veges to entice him/her to eat them.

IMO yes it is overweight. I would only offer veg for a while, too much fruit can cause periodontal disease. I find using a base of butternut pumpkin works for fussy eaters. They also seem to love hibiscus flowers. Both are sweet without the sugar content of fruit. You can also try mixing some silkworms, earthworms or mealworms into the veges to entice him/her to eat them.
i tried the last but but she uses her feet to try and "dig" for the bugs she is a lot smarter than I thought when I first got her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back