A few enclosure build questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusy

Reaction score
Hey all, just got a few questions im not 100% sure on and hoping you can help me out. I'm in the planning stage of building a full sized enclosure:

1) For an adult jungle carpet, will i still require 2 hides (1 cold and 1 warm) and do those hides need to be fully enclosed or will some dense faux foliage be enough?

2) How big would an enclosed hide need to be (diameter) for an atherton (around 2m long) and how thick would such a snake be so i can make an entrance to the hide/s big enough?

3) I'm planning on having the enclosure on a covered patio area and am concerned about the possible lack of temp gradient in the warmer months. Being an electronics geek, i was contemplating using an evaporative cooler or a peltier cooler to try and keep the cool end cool. Am i stressing to much about this and should i just make sure the heating turns off when the cool end reaches 28degrees or somewhere around that mark?

4) I was going to use a cord under a tile for a basking spot but am not sure about the ambient temps in a large enclosure (1.2-1.5 sq x 600mm) during the cooler months. Will i need to use something like a CHE or radiant heat panel to warm the warm end ambient and if i do, will that negate the need for the cord under the tile?

Thanks all
I know i have asked a couple of the questions before but was abit off topic from my OP's and didn't really get an answer so i apolgise if i may have received an answer and missed it.

Anybody?? If I could just know how big to make the basking spot and hides, that will do for now.

Yes, you will still require hides. What I use for hides are those large terracotta pots. They make great hides! The hole you make in the hide should be about 2-3mml larger then the snake's thickest diameter (Well that is what I go by anyway). You have to soak them for a good while though to cut it otherwise it will crack.
I have never kept my snakes outside but would putting frozen bottles in one end help with a temp gradient? Just an idea :p
For the warm end I suggest using a heat globe. It will keep ambient temps and if you put a tile on a shelf kind of thing it will create a nice basking spot, eliminating the need of a heat chord. You could even just have a branch under the globe and that would create a good basking spot as well :)

(Sorry if this wasn't typed out very well, I have a killer headache :()

thanks sharkyy105. How wide are those terracotta pots? I want to build my own hides and just want to make sure they will be big enough for my python to fit into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back