A. maculosa and QLD temps?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koula

Reaction score
Hey everyone, A. maculosa is apparently native to my area, but lately temps in Gladstone have been getting pretty toasty (and it's not even Summer yet!). It's 30 degrees inside the house now, but in my python's tank, the cool end is 30, and the warm side is 37.

Should I turn his heatcord off during the day, but fire it up at night, as I've seen the warmside thermometre cranking up to 40 degs, and I don't want to BBQ the little fella (he's a 10 month old juvie).

Am I worrying about nothing? Being native to the region, the natural day/night time temps shouldn't stuff him up, ey?

He usually hides under the paper towel substrate, but since it's heated up, he's parked himself in the cool side corner, and jammed himself between the tank wall and the water dish bowl.

Any advice/ideas?

My spotteds get the night time temps of brisbane. I'd say 37 is too hot for most if not all pythons, even though he's native to the area he would be somewhere cooler where possible. My spotteds are sitting under 34-35 degree temps right now and are fine.
Make sure his water bowl is big enough for him to immerse himself if he gets too hot. I would either get a thermostat if thats not too expensive for you or set a timer so that in the hotter parts of the day the heat cord is off. I wouldn't bother heating him at all at night.

my male juvie had a warm end of 35 and a cool end of 30 for winter, but now he is in a better enclosure. any way i would take the heat cord out for a day and night and see how the temps go, then deside from there, if the temps stay good dont worry bout heeting...jmo

Im just worried that if I have the heatcord switched off, and we have a surprise cold-snap during the night and I'll wake up in the morning to find him with a respiratory infection. =:/

possible but i think its unlikely. what are the average night temps at the moment? why not turn the heat cord on at night and off in the morning

Turn it off at night, it is highly unlikely a cold snap at this time of the year would cause any problem at all.

I'm confused - shouldn't I be turning it off during daytime hours? That's when it's most hottest and at 30-38 degrees. Right now (night time) it is a nice 24-28 degs.

*has a thought* What if I just uncoil half the heat cord from out from under the tank and leave it out so that only half the cord is heating, and not the whole thing?

Thats the idea you only need a 3-4 inch strip down the end. You will find that your cord may heat up to 3 or 4 tanks.

Am I assuming this heatcord isn't connected to a thermostat ?

hopefully not!!. ( whats a thermostat). :lol:

I do have an IMIT-3 thermostat, but I'll be buggered as to how you use it or even wire it up? So no, the heatcord is as is - you just plug it inot the wall and off she goes.

The heat cord itself isn't that much of a worry right now, but ambient temps hit 40 degrees around here in summer - Heat cord or not.

And yep, it's one of them long cords that could do 3-4 tanks.

Yes but if it gets to 40 degrees AND you have an uncontrolled heatcord then the temperature will just keep rising if you aren't there to monitor it.

This has been covered before, during every summer! :) When the temps get that high, I freeze large bottles of water (old soft drink bottles), wrap them in a towel and put it in the cooler end. They can then sit on it if it gets too hot for them.

My opinion on the heat cord : If you don't have a thermostat on it, you are taking a risk. I'd take it to an electrician and get him to wire it up for you, with a socket for the heat cord. JMO of course!

No idea, but if you take it to an electrician, then you won't have to pay for them to come to your home. I would think it wouldn't be much, as it's really a pretty simple job, especially if you supply the materials. They'll give you a quote.

I must admit I have never had a cage or anything like that wired by an electrician. Personally I would get a probe thermostat and just plug it in to that. I know cost may be a consideration but that is what I would do.

Cool. I'll look into electrician quotes soon, in the meantime, if the temps here continue being the way they are, I'll switch the cord off (or just remove half of the cord from under the tank). Python seems happy at the moment though - eats well, colours/markings/skin is good, doesn't try to escape, etc.

I wish they'd make "plug-n-play" thermostats... these "white boxes with wires" are confusing to a n00b herper. :(

Actually, they probably do have plug-n-play thermostats out there, but are either too pricey (anything over $40 in my books) or you never see them in shops? If anyone knows where you can get affordable plug-n-play thermostats in Australia, let me know.

temps

hey swifty,
you can get a plug 'n' go thermostat from herpshop for about $70. not really too pricey when you look at the risks it eliminates. and it will possibly cost 40 or 50 bucks to get a sparky to wire up your imit 3 anyway! the probe thermos are just too easy to look past in my opinion, i have them on almost all my enclosures. but as you mentioned you will be able to turn the heater off completely very soon anyway, there is buckleys chance of geting a cold snap now!
hope you figure it out mate,
bombie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back