A new innovation in security

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
As some of you might know, I moved to Cairns yesterday. A month ago I came to Cairns for a scouting expedition and to put my transport - a 170cc scooter - in storage. Today I went to pick it up.

The storage company is pioneering an innovative new security system. They have the usual live-in caretaker, guard dogs, fences, locks, gates and passcodes, but they've now added something different. As I entered the gate (which only opened after I entered my passcode, of course) I felt a light tap on the head through the fabric of my hat. I was bemused because I had falling mangoes and coconuts on my mind, thanks to these being particular hazards in my new place. Then I thought it might have been a rock rolling off a nearby roof. As I looked up to see what it was, a bird came and hovered by my head. It then flew up to a gutter, where it perched, glaring at me and chattering angrily.

It was a black and white bird, but it wasn't a magpie. What the hell, I thought. Have I just been divebombed by a willie wagtail?

Yes, I had. As I watched with fascination - and amusement - the bird launched off the roof and came around for another pass. It didn't let up as I walked over to my storage unit and unlocked it. And on my way out, it dented its little beak on my helmet.

Has anyone ever come across a territorial willie wagtail? I've certainly never seen one in NSW or Victoria. Maybe the heat makes them more aggro in Far North Queensland? :) The bird was with a partner, who was also agitated, so I'm guessing they had a nest somewhere nearby. I was very impressed with the little fellow's heroism!

Yeah, they get a bit cheeky at times.
We had a few camped out near our bathroom at my old work. Used to swoop anyone heading for the toilet during breeding season!

When i used to live in Perth there was 2 willie wagtails that had built there nest on our washing line. Each time i went to hang out the washing i was always getting dive bombed. It is really annoying having 2 little birds dive bomb you and then crapping all over your clothes. I eventually bought a clothes dryer, as they just got too annoying and i didn't want to destroy their nest as they kept using it. Still i got to see little babies a couplle years in a row. Unfortunately i had some asians move in next door with a cat and i never saw the birds again.

MON

Not a wagtail but birds are bastards. Here is a pic of a bird trying to go my brother lol
31b83b14-0047-1d38.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back