A Novel Idea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHappy

Reaction score
I know there are a few of us on here who enjoy reading novels and I'm always keen to hear about novels other people recommend so I thought I'd start this thread in the hope we could all help each other.

The idea is to give a bit of info on a novel/s you've read and a rating.

If we keep to a similar format eg Genre/type of novel, Author, Title/s, Bit of info, & Rating (maybe a maximum of 5 very happy faces - :D:D:D:D:D). So I'll begin -

Genre: Fantasy
Author: Brent Weeks
Title: This is a Trilogy (The Night Angel Trilogy) - Book 1. The Way of Shadows, Book 2. Shadow's Edge, Book 3. Beyond the Shadows
Bit of Info: These books are fast paced. It's like the author was on speed when he wrote them. The story's about an assassin in a world of evil and magic. I recommend these books if you want something that's difficult to put down. They do involve a bit of blood and guts
Rating: :D:D:D:D

Oh I'm starting that very soon!
Right after I finish the curent Robert Jordan books!

But one of my favourite authors is the Australian Jennifar Fallon

Author: Jennifar Fallon
Titles: Demon Child trilogy, Tide Lords Series, Second Sons Trilogy and Hythrun Chronicles
Info: As Brent Weeks writes, fast paced. Sometimes very predictable but surely enjoyable, some thing for everyone a bit of romance that's real (not twilight), action and subtle political stances.
Rating: :D:D:D:D

Genre: Fantasy / Scifi / Horror / Western
Author: Stephen King
Title: The Dark Tower (series of 7 books)
Bit of Info: It's really too complex to describe in a few sentences, you will just have to read it and see for yourself, there's a reason it's my favorite novel hands down. A very basic summary: It follows the story of a 'gunslinger' on his quest to find a tower, which he believes will save the existence of his world and the universe.
Rating: :D:D:D:D:D and an extra :D

Anyone read robert jordan?
or George R R Martin?
Brain Jacque?
Tolkien?
John Marsden?

I too am a Stephen King fan...

Genre: Fantasy/Thriller
Title: Misery
Bit of Info: A chilling story about a writer and his "number one fan"... a must read!
Rating: :D:D:D:D:D

Author: Lian Hearn (pseudonym) Gillian Rubinstein (real)
Title: Tales of the Otori (trilogy + Sequel + Prequel)
Bit of Info: a young warrior named Takeo in his struggles to avenge an adoptive father, escape the legacy of his biological father, and pursue the love of his life in the midst of an enormous power struggle involving dozens of clan lords and thousands of warriors
Rating: :):):):):):)

My fav author would have to be Dean Koontz,
Some of his better books are

DRAGON TEARS - my favorite of his
INTESITY
THE CUTTING CREW
THE FACE
VELOCITY

Also like Stephen King's IT and CHRISTINE

Genre:fantasy
Author:Cassandra Clare
Title:(Trilogy-The Mortal Instruments) City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass
Bit of Info: These books are about a young lady who finds a out about her mysterious past.
Rating::D:D:D:D:)=4.5

Honestly - I wished I had time for casual reading... but I get up to my eyeballs in text books, assignments and exams and can find no time....

:)

Every time you sit on the dunny, slim6y!

I love the 4.5 rating smigga

I am on my iPhone so am not going to set up that template thing,

The last 2 books I read where both autobiographys and I loved both:

Scare tissue -
Wolf of wall street

Both awesome books imo

I love that series but it's taking soooooooooooooooo long between books. The Gunslinger ;)

Anyone read robert jordan?
Wheel of Time is a great read. Unforunately RJ died before finishing it. I'm still yet to read the latest one, written based on some RJ text & RJ notes.

Scar Tissue is pretty good book.
Anthony had some great experiences!
If you want a good rock book, have a read of The Dirt (Motley Crue)
Personally I thought it was a better read that Scar Tissue (which is a good read)
Crazy From The Heat (David Lee Roth) is also quite good.

Wheel of Time is a great read. Unforunately RJ died before finishing it. I'm still yet to read the latest one, written based on some RJ text & RJ notes.

Don't let the fact that Jordan didn't completely write the last three books. You can tell the difference but after a few hunred pages it seems pretty normal.
Sanderson is a bit more direct in his writing.

Author: Lian Hearn (pseudonym) Gillian Rubinstein (real)
Title: Tales of the Otori (trilogy + Sequel + Prequel)
Bit of Info: a young warrior named Takeo in his struggles to avenge an adoptive father, escape the legacy of his biological father, and pursue the love of his life in the midst of an enormous power struggle involving dozens of clan lords and thousands of warriors
Rating: :):):):):):)

Can vouch for this, read them quite a few years ago but from what I remember they were quite good!

My fav author would have to be Dean Koontz,

He's not one of my favourite authors but I like the way he can make you laugh (out loud) throughout some of his novels.

In 'Relentless' there are some very funny parts involving the son. I just struggle with some of his 'out there' stuff - a bit too unbelievable. But then again my favourite books involve magic and dragons so who am I to judge?
I'd still give Relentless :D:D:D:) = 3.5

2 more books - centred around the Bikie scene.
Both Non-fiction

Author: Arthur Veno
Title: The Brotherhoods
Bit of Info: Arthur Veno is said to be "Australia's leading bikie expert". The book's about bikie clubs - where they began to where they're headed, with everything in-between. Interesting read, but also a bit slow.
Rating: :D:D:)

2nd Book
Authors: Ross Coulthart (journalist) & Duncan Mcnab
Title: Dead Man Running
Bit of Info: An insider's (Stevan Utah) story into the bikie culture. Stevan's account of his introduction to the scene, things that happened and why he became an informant. There's mention of snakes too. Better than 'Brotherhood' in my opinion but I found it difficult to believe everything.
Rating: :D:D:D

Genre: Fantasy / Scifi / Horror / Western
Bit of Info: It's really too complex to describe in a few sentences, you will just have to read it and see for yourself, there's a reason it's my favorite novel hands down. A very basic summary: It follows the story of a 'gunslinger' on his quest to find a tower, which he believes will save the existence of his world and the universe.
Rating: :D:D:D:D:D and an extra :D
OMG i love this trilogy!!! my dad use to read a couple of chapters to me every night as a bedtime story!!
anyway...
Genre: Fantasy / Scifi / Horror /Romance
Title: The Eyes Of The Dragon
Bit of Info: (books blurb) 'everyone in the kingdom talked about the king-in- waiting, Roland's elder son,Peter. and one man thought and planned and brooded on something else: how to make sure that Roland's younger son, Thomas, should be crowned instead.' Outline: Flagg, the king's magician killed roland and set it up so that it looked like peter killed him. so peter was charged with the murder of king roland, his father and imprisioned in the highest tower of The Needle.
Rating: 500000/100

Genre: Fantasy / Scifi / Horror
Title: 1408
Bit of Info: Mike Enslin makes a living writing popular books about haunted places. After staying at the Dolphin Hotel, he will finally be able to believe what he writes. Watch the movie...it's better and easier to understand, to read the book you need a good imagination to be able to be the characters and do in your mind what they are doing on the page.
Rating: 10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back