A Novel Idea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG i love this trilogy!!! my dad use to read a couple of chapters to me every night as a bedtime story!!
anyway...
Genre: Fantasy / Scifi / Horror /Romance
Author: Stephen King
Title: The Eyes Of The Dragon
Bit of Info: (books blurb) 'everyone in the kingdom talked about the king-in- waiting, Roland's elder son,Peter. and one man thought and planned and brooded on something else: how to make sure that Roland's younger son, Thomas, should be crowned instead.' Outline: Flagg, the king's magician killed roland and set it up so that it looked like peter killed him. so peter was charged with the murder of king roland, his father and imprisioned in the highest tower of The Needle.
Rating: 500000/100

Genre: Fantasy / Scifi / Horror
Title: 1408
Bit of Info: Mike Enslin makes a living writing popular books about haunted places. After staying at the Dolphin Hotel, he will finally be able to believe what he writes. Watch the movie...it's better and easier to understand, to read the book you need a good imagination to be able to be the characters and do in your mind what they are doing on the page.
Rating: 10/10

Read the eyes of the dragon myself a while ago, definitely not bad: another :D:D:D:D

That's how I passed law... all the time I was on the dunny I read law papers after law papers.... I got the top possible mark so it must have worked :)

There's so many ways I can link law papers and sitting on the dunny. All would be funny but I don't know how to avoid an infraction.

that's where i read to so don't worry you're not the only one. it's a peaceful place the thunderbox!

that's where i read to so don't worry you're not the only one. it's a peaceful place the thunderbox!

I know it's the only way I can get my husband to babysit the kids for five minutes so I can get some time to myself...:?

Genre: Fantasy / Scifi / Horror / Western
Me too for this one. It's amazing..

Title: The Dark Tower (series of 7 books)
Bit of Info: It's really too complex to describe in a few sentences, you will just have to read it and see for yourself, there's a reason it's my favorite novel hands down. A very basic summary: It follows the story of a 'gunslinger' on his quest to find a tower, which he believes will save the existence of his world and the universe.
Rating: and an extra

Here's one of my favourites at the moment, anything by the same author is brilliant however, and I would recommend 'The Last Continent' to any australian...

Title: Nation
Author: Terry Pratchett
Genre: Fantasy/satire
Bit of info (blurb on back): On the day the world ends... Mau is on his way home from the Boys' Island. Soon he will be a man. And then the wave comes, a huge wave, dragging with black night behind it and bringing a schooner which sails over and through the island rainforest. The village has gone. The Nation as it was has gone. Now there's just Mau, who wears barely anything, a trouserman girl who wears far too much, and an awful lot of big misunderstadings...

Disclaimer on the inside by the author: "Thinking, this book contains some. Whether you try it at home or not is up to you."
:D:D:D:D:) Not as great as some of his books, but still bloody brilliant. His humor is subtle, so I find reading it more than once, rather than getting to know the story, makes me view it from different angles.

Soldier Son Trilogy, ********er Trilogy, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
anything by Robin Hobb, Kate Forsyth

genre: all fantasy
basically big adventures of a grand scale
all :D :D :D :D :D

Genre: Fantasy? - Based on the game Assassin's Creed II
Author: Oliver Bowden
Title: Assassin's Creed RENAISSANCE
Bit of Info: Set in Italy during the Renaissance - about a guy (Ezio Auditore) on his journey of vengeance. Leonardo da Vinci even plays a role in it. Not too bad, but not 'on-the-edge-of-your-seat' reading either. (I've never played the game so those who have may be able to relate to what's going on in it).
Rating: :D:D:D

OK, won't go into detail but the authors i recommend
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time. Started reading this around 1993, god what an epic and still waiting to finish it. Everytime a new book is released i have to start the whole thing again because i can't remember it. Got it on audiobook now, took almost 3 months listening to it at work for 12 hours a day....
David Eddings - All of them
David Gemmell - All of them
Sara Douglass - The Tecendor books
Peter V Brett - The painted man books
Brent weeks - Night angel trilogy
Robin Hobb - The liveship books, not so much the soldier son trilogy
Terry Brooks
Jennifer Fallon
Kate Elliott - Crown of stars
Trudi Canarvan - The Black magician more so than The age of five
Fiona McIntosh
JR Tolkien - Although couldn't get into the Silmarillian or The Children of Hurin
Anne McCaffrey - Pern series.... Nice light reading :)
oh oh and i almost forgot J K Rowling lol

Definately not a fan of Fantasy/Sci-Fi :)

Where's all the detective/mystery type stuff?? :shock:

I LOVE anything by Lee Child, Michael Connelly, Robert B Parker, Ed McBain, Harlan Coben, Lisa Scottoline......there's heaps of others, I just can't think of them right now.....

Still my fave book is Stephen King's "IT". I'm a big fan of King's books, but this one is outstanding. Forget the movie, no way can they cram the detail of that book into a 2hr flick. Very gripping read.

Beep beep Richie

Still my fave book is Stephen King's "IT". I'm a big fan of King's books, but this one is outstanding. Forget the movie, no way can they cram the detail of that book into a 2hr flick. Very gripping read.

Beep beep Richie

They all float......

Am i the only one that reads true crime lol

No.
See if you can find a book by Derrick Hand, The Coronor - Investigating Sudden Death.
Hand was the Coroner at Glebe (NSW) & dealt with some well publicised cases. It's not all crime related but a good book.
Also Crime Scenes by Esther Mackay. She was a copper & worked at SW Sydney & some of her stories are jaw dropping & tragic.
Particularly a story about two kids who went missing around Pheasant's Nest & were found in a bridge pylon.
These are both Aussie books too

I'm currently reading a series called Underbelly (no connection whatsoever with the TV series) which is series of short stories of crime tales from all over Aus.

I've also read books by Chopper, Graham "Abo" Henry, & Neddy Smith books, but I always wonder what is fair dinkum, exaggeration, bragging or completely untrue with these books.

Another good one is The Razor Gang, dealing with Sydney street crime back in the 30s, sly grog shops, knock shops, drugs etc.
With Tilley Divine & I can't remember the other bird's name, basically running Sydney crime back then.

Last edited:
They all float......

what about John Grisham??? and King don't float...just not everyone enjoys the genre of writing/movies he does. Did you enjoy The Green Mile Movie?? That wasn't horror yet stephen king wrote the original novel and helped produce the movie.
i was reading that book at 12 at school and wasn't suppose to but i got a letter from the principal. got hounded by the other students though

No.
See if you can find a book by Derrick Hand, The Coronor - Investigating Sudden Death.
Hand was the Coroner at Glebe (NSW) & dealt with some well publicised cases. It's not all crime related but a good book.
Also Crime Scenes by Esther Mackay. She was a copper & worked at SW Sydney & some of her stories are jaw dropping & tragic.
Particularly a story about two kids who went missing around Pheasant's Nest & were found in a bridge pylon.
These are both Aussie books too

I'm currently reading a series called Underbelly (no connection whatsoever with the TV series) which is series of short stories of crime tales from all over Aus.

I've also read books by Chopper, Graham "Abo" Henry, & Neddy Smith books, but I always wonder what is fair dinkum, exaggeration, bragging or completely untrue with these books.

Another good one is The Razor Gang, dealing with Sydney street crime back in the 30s, sly grog shops, knock shops, drugs etc.
With Tilley Divine & I can't remember the other bird's name, basically running Sydney crime back then.

Good :)

*Runs off to eBay* Whilst i have a pretty big collection of them, unfortunately alot of them are overseas ones and full of the smae old repedative stories in those rather thick books such a "The giant book of" etc and we have all heard those before.( at least they have that old book smell though! ) Those ones you mentioned sound like a decent read so i will keep an eye out for them. I have a few other that just focus on the one case and they are pretty good.

I have read the Chopper books etc to and found them a little boring and didn't like the big noting and bits you wonder if they were just put in to sell the books.

Cheers Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back