A Thick Tailed Gecko egg incubator

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snocodile

Reaction score
Im buying a breeding pair of thick tails and i dont know what incubator would be good for their eggs. can someone tell me some good incubators?

Hugh:):):D

It's easy enough to build your own incubator. If your plan is one for just Barking Geckos, invest in a large esky. Esky's are designed to hold in temperatures and suffice as small incubators. If breeding more species, invest or go on the hunt for a broken barfridge/ wine cooler.

All that is required is a reliable thermostat which can hold temperatures with as little variation and fluctuation as possible. I recommend Microclimate thermostats, in particular pulse proportional stats. They tend to be rather expensive but are the best choice in the long run. They are available from most stores that will stock reptile related products. Furthermore, you will need thermometer(s) for managing internal temperatures and other things relevant to incubating Barking Gecko eggs in particular.

I gather you have researched keeping and breeding using a caresheet (from the picture in your avatar). Just for arguments sake, they can be incubated in substrates that have relatively good moisture holding abilities so sphagnum moss, vermiculite and perlite are the most commonly used. I have used vermiculite and perlite with great success. Mix it at a 1:1 ratio with water (or a little drier, its up to you) and viola! Wait no less than 50-60 days at around 27-28oC and you'll have youngen.

Good luck.

Great advice Rocket !!! , if you cant get an esky get one of those foam cooler boxes from a fruit shop they get the brocolli etc in works just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back