A U.P.S maybe ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

A lot of people will know about a U.P.S. but a lot probably haven't heard of them. The initials stand for [un-interupted power supply] basically it is a box generally the size of a shoe box full of electronic tricks that converts battery or DC power to AC [house power]. they can cost anywhere from $50.00 to $10,000...but for the sake of this exercise probably $50-$500.
ln Brisbane so far this incubating season l have lost power [outage] for 31/2 hrs and "the devil" on here has lost his for 4 hrs, both of us ran auto-switching inverters, which when the power goes off automatically switches over to the back up system and back again when it comes on.
Before l go much further to play devil's advocate and as Rob [true blue] says on here more things to go wrong but gee its incredible peace of mind when the power goes and if you have one or several clutches of eggs in the cooker to know you have a back up power system, now a lot are going to say tough it out or use a generator, well imo a genny isn't an option in the burbs at 2.00am.
Now even a small inverter for $50-100 plus and a car battery is going to give the average incubator 4-6 hours back-up supply, l purchased a new v8 diesel battery this week after several years for $118.00 that will give me about 8-12 hrs back-up and l run a two door coke fridge as an incubator.
Some people are going to say put hot packs in there and other heat emitting items but l can honestly say the peace of mind is huge as "the devil" has said a couple of times, just to finish off a back-up system could cost you the price of 2-3 coastal hatchies and last you several years and to cut the cost just buy the inverter and borrow your car battery [if need be].....
l am not selling or pushing these just trying to make people aware of this product as a possible option.......solar 17 [Baden]

Thanks for the heads up! I was only just pondering the question of backup power recently; we were going to run with the genny option, but hadn't really considered the noise!
It's a shame UPSs are so damn expensive; however I like your car battery/inverter idea. Mind if I pinch it?!? lol!
And when you look at the cost of the setup versus the cost of losing everything in the inc, it's a no-brainer.
Cheers,
Nic

i too run a UPS theyre great most electronics shops have them for sale ( bulit as a backup for computers so you dont lose unsaved data on your computer )invest and avoid the mess, having a generator going isnt always the answer

just one more point you will see especially on Ebay normal inverter and pure sine inverters, well you are better off with a pure sine wave inverter but these are really for computors and other complex electrical gear....if its just for your incubator with globes and or a heat mat you these aren't really necessary [but advisable]......solar 17 [Baden]

Yeah, gotta agree totally with solar on this one. The UPS system we have is the best and cheapest insurance and peace of mind you can buy.

Monday morning at 4am I was woken up by a loud clunk. Took a few seconds to work out that the loud clunk was the UPS auto switching relay working. A look at my digital clock, blank, told me the power was off.

I knew the relay had switched over so I rolled over and went back to sleep. The power came back on at around 8.30am.

Solar looked into the loss of power problem some years ago after a major storm left me without power for 33 hours.

Yes, you can use generators but starting even a small generator at 4am in suburbia may not make you all that popular.

For the first few years we used 2 deep cycle batteries, 6 volt, and they would run my incubator for over 24 hours.
My batteries needed replacing and deep cycle batteries are expensive so I tried a 3 y.o. battery out of my car.

Found that this 3 y.o. car battery would run the incubator for over 8 hours. So the deep cycle batteries got the flick and I use a single decent 12 volt car battery.

The size and type of 12 volt battery needed will depend TOTALLY on the size of your incubator and the wattage used for heating.
It's a long time since I've checked what the total wattage I use is, I think it's either 75 or 100 watts.

Do you hear that? Didn't think so, thats my Yamaha inverter power generator.

Anyone actually heard or seen one of these?

Some UPS's also come with surge protectors, if not all, so if it does surge, it will protect your electronic devices then switch over to UPS power.

I don't have to go to that extent for my collection, however I use them for my electronic devices.

If I were incubating I would definitely look into this, great ideas.

You don't even have to go on ebay for these things for a decent price. Most computer-part retailers have them for a decent price. Check out places like Umart, Computer Alliance etc. Cheapest is around $70 and going all the way through to $3k. (these things can weigh up to 50kg mind you)

But as S mentioned, Yamaha and Dunlite for heavy duty :)

Yamaha 1kVA Silent Generator

Au$1,399.00

Model: Yamaha EF1000iS
Order Code: 90

The Yamaha generators are great, so quiet, I wouldn't hesitate to start mine up in the early hours of the morning, once you get a few metres away from them you can hardly hear them and once inside the house you can't hear it at all. $1399 is a bit of a rip off though, I paid $1000 for mine at a local camping store about 8 months ago.

One thing about generators is that unless they are wired into your mains fuse box with auto start then they are just about useless.

What happens is you are at work for the day, out for the evening or away for the night.

I have a decent UPS - keen to get rid of it... I use it during cyclones - but haven't had a power cutting cyclone for a very long time...

When I sell it that will be the year we have 6 cyclones...

I have a decent UPS - keen to get rid of it... I use it during cyclones - but haven't had a power cutting cyclone for a very long time...

When I sell it that will be the year we have 6 cyclones...

You're right if you sell it there will be multiple cyclones...Be a bit like my parents, had flood insurance for their house for over 20 years. Never need it so cancelled. A couple of year later a flood, water only came to the top step, lucky,lucky..

Is very easy to make the changeover switch as long as you are a sparky or know one.. You only need a relay with a couple normally open and a couple normally closed contacts. if anyone wants a schematic i can draw you one up and they can get there local sparky to make it. I made Nev's for him and as he said the power goes out the backup comes on and it all happens in a split second.. I just have a 12 volt invertor from dick smith that can run a lap top in the car. i have tested mine for 3 hrs and she was still going strong.

Is very easy to make the changeover switch as long as you are a sparky or know one.. You only need a relay with a couple normally open and a couple normally closed contacts. if anyone wants a schematic i can draw you one up and they can get there local sparky to make it. I made Nev's for him and as he said the power goes out the backup comes on and it all happens in a split second.. I just have a 12 volt invertor from dick smith that can run a lap top in the car. i have tested mine for 3 hrs and she was still going strong.

Yes Jason, the one you made up for me works a treat and has been used a few times now. Once it's all set up the only on-going cost is having to replace the battery every 2 or 3 years.
Total cost to do that......about $50 per year.....

SOLAR17! im trying to get in contact with you but you don't reply to your messages D: How cani contact you?

We are getting solar electricity shortly.
Can we still have blackouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back