A week in the office with Emu Gully Adventure Education.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruni

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well after much tribulation and losing of hair because of Gen 'Now' not being able to stick with it when making a commitment, the time finally came to head out to the Pindari Campus (property) of Emu Gully Adventure Education backing onto Pindari Dam, an hour north of Inverell. We had a four day adventure camp wher the kids had to sleep in swags, feed themselves using a 24hr ration pack system and do activities such as rock face traversing, abseiling and a lot of orienteering and hiking to add to their resilience.

It was fine weather for the most part but an average temp of 36* so we couldn't keep the water up to us as quick as it was leaving us. The cracker was on Wednesday night when a storm cae through and decimated our tarps over the swags but that just geed the kids up even more and they dug in deep to salvage what as needed and in the morning (after a night sleeping in the classroom) they cleaned, cleared and rebuilt camp.

The highlight for me was doing my first unassisted/solo abseil using a prussik knot to belay my own descent. After a successful trial run on a 10m face I had to suck it up and drop my stones as I actually felt nervous standing 60-70m over the dam and starting a 50m repel. But my inspiration came in the form of a young bloke in our group who is a little person. at 17 he is barey 4ft tall and determined as hell to face every single challenge the camp had to offer. He was packing bricks and I promised to stay next to him all the way down.

I am one of the only teachers who takes a mixed group of kids on camp at Emu Gully and our group ranged from a young year 8 girl through to a handful of year 11's a total of 16 kids and they did me and the school proud with their resilience, commitment and their group spirit. Taking camps like this is what helps keep me young and reminds me why I love being a teacher and working with teenagers.

A massive thanks to Phil Box for your time, encouragement, expertise and passion; you are a legend. Also huge thanks to Sean the kids loved you and respected you hugely; you are a legend already well and truely in the making!
113.gif

file.php

Centre frame is a formation resembling an Easter Is. head called
'The Old Mans Chin' which we have to pass under to reach the end of the
traverse.

file.php

The Butress is one of the cliffs on Pindari Dam

file.php

file.php

Approaching the Old Man's Chin.

file.php

Coming out the other side.

file.php

A short breather to regroup before heading to the sumit of the feature.

file.php

The crew make it to the top.

file.php

Cooling off after the climb.

file.php

Helping them cool off using the Evinrude...

MORE TO COME...

Well done - looks like you had a ball! Did you see any snakes? (Sorry, I had to ask)

That's awesome Gruni! I'm a year 8 girl and would have died to come on a camp like that! Whereas most my friends would have turned their noses up at something like that :rolleyes:
Looked like a fantastic trip!

file.php

file.php

Chilling Out.

file.php

Morning Inspection.

file.php

Billy boiling competition, I joined a couple of girls whose team
mate had abandoned them and were now strugling. We ended up winning. :)

file.php

file.php

Thick sticks are not the way to win.

file.php

An old tin miner's stone hut.

file.php

Bracing for the storm and rain.

file.php

file.php

Looking pretty good.

Some more yet...

- - - Updated - - -

file.php

We copped more than just rain. We got hit by a heap of wind and 2
inches of rain in an hour. By the time the storm reached Tenterfield it
had added hail to its aresenal.

file.php

The tarps were shot after the first five minitutes.

file.php

A night in the classrooms.

file.php

file.php

The practice abseil at House Rock... 10 or so metres.

file.php

file.php

The view from the top of the big cliff, 70-80m above the dam and a 50m repel.

file.php

Looking at the island from the butress, our descent is just left of centre.

file.php

Nearly there...

nice pics i like rock climbing/absailing
lol if i was there i would have done nothing but look for snakes

file.php

Joey at the cutback... almost half way down.

file.php

file.php

file.php

One advantage of being up at 5:30am, this was the beautiful sunrise on the last morning.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

No snakes but this 3 1/2ft Lace Monitor was perched above our lunch spot, he's one of the babies on the property. The other teacher said she found a slough from what she thinks was an Eastern Brown in the bushes during one of the activities.

It's always and awesome but exhausting week when ever I head out there. The kids have a great time and bond with kids from year groups they would normally never talk to and they really have to dig deep in their resilience with the hikes etc, this trip we had an average daytime temp of 36*.

The lace monitor was just a real blessing to finish the camp and I seem to recall he lived there two years ago too. :)

looks like a few great days in the office !!

You can't beat dragging a few kids out into the bush for a few days :)

What a great spot and a great experience for the kids. And yourself of course.

cheers for the read gruni , looks like nice country and a nice "little" lacie

Cheers. The lacie was gorgeous, I'm not sure the pic does it justice. I tell you what the claws on their back legs are intimidating to say the least... they look lethal. :shock:

Looks like you had a superb time, nothing beats the outdoors and good company. Great photographs by the way, Australia has some spectacular scenery, thanks for sharing.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back